Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building an ES-5V

Building an ES-5V

Just eagerly awaiting my ES-5V kit. It was despatched at high speed by PBGs and reached England in record time, but has spent the best part of a week in UK customs; I'm sure it will be all the better for waiting. This is my second build, the first being a cheap resonator kit that went together surprisingly well and gave me the bug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150593 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	593.3 KB 
ID:	27545

I've learned a great deal from that, and probably more by following DougR's posts and his excellent YouTube video. I asked a few questions and he was kind enough to reply. Still not sure of the finish; it will probably be oil on stain but can't decide between a vintage "butterscotch", perhaps with a mild sunburst, and an all out dark brown to red - will make my mind up when the beast arrives.
    Last edited by Borrel; 23-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.

I’ll be watching with interest.

3. Liked by: Borrel

Kit has now arrived and, despite the UK's rather punitive VAT, import duty and clearance fees, I'm pretty pleased with it and still think it represents good value (although you guys in Aus. are certainly getting them cheap!). No major flaws and the beast should make up nicely. I was particularly impressed with the neck and fretting, from reading other posts I had expected thin fretwire but, although this is not as fat as some later Gibsons, is of a nice wide profile and only requires minimal work to the sides. The neck is also straight, even with the truss rod relaxed and is a good tight fit into the socket. Slight misalignment of machinehead holes in the headstock and it is something I could correct but probably won't as it hardly distracts from the instrument (and frankly the early Gibsons I have seen have not all been paragons of workmanship). Which reminds me of a quick story, a friend and full time luthier / repairer was once working on a modern high-end American made acoustic guitar (probably best not to give the make). He had the lid off and noticed bolts securing the bridge to the front, on closer examination he realised the bridge itself was plastic...

First job was a quick mock build which seemed to go okay; the neck socket has a deal of excess material on the body section that receives the heel, with that gone I should be able to check the neck angle although it seems okay, and there is so much “meat” on the socket sides that, even if it wrong – which I doubt – it should be readily fixable.

Still not totally decided on the finish; the coward inside me leans towards natural, or slightly stained, but then a good old vintage sunburst would also be so in keeping. It will be hand rubbed whatever and, if I do go for the sunburst, may use small “tester” bottles of water stain, which should give a decent range of colours without too much expense or wastage.

Not going to rush this one, and fully intend to log my progress with pictures once there is something worth showing. Would welcome advice or comments from all.

Es-5's are nice, they sound surprisingly good unplugged as well. Enjoy!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

6. Liked by: Borrel

Just finished mine, there's a few hints and tips on the last page of my build diary (link in sig).
    Have fun.

8. Liked by: Borrel

Thanks, Blinddrew, that is really helpful. I see you had the same problem re. machine head holes, and yes, you are quite right, it is the headstock itself that is out. Still not sure if to address, I'll see if I keep noticing it!

If you're anything like me, once you've seen something you'll only see it more and more...

11. Liked by: Borrel

Okay, on closer examination I can't get away with a slice off the headstock:

Name:	P1150612.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	27585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150610.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	560.4 KB 
ID:	27586

the holes are simply erratic. I suppose it would be possible to bush with maple plugs and re-drill (adding a veneer to the headstock if the inserts appear beyond the machinehead washers) but I think I'll leave it be. It does give a "handmade" look to the instrument (and I'd probably only mess up the fresh holes!). Incidentally, there are a number of knots on the neck, something that never bothers me unless they are really unslightly and an actual weakness. I once held a Strad' - it was made during his "golden period" and was a true work of art, yet strangely the timber chosen was not the finest tonewoods and there were several small, and unattractive, knots on the back. The sound was superb, though.
    The socket is cleaning up nicely:

Name:	P1150616.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	27587
    and the neck sits well:

Name:	P1150613.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	553.4 KB 
ID:	27588
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1150618.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	551.5 KB 
ID:	27589  

Previous post shows the top nut. My next job is to remove this and cut a decent base for the bone piece that will replace it after finishing. I think finsihing will take longer than usual - I'l be trying to put off the time when I have to fit the electrics - something I have never done before...

Electrics is actually pretty straightforward using cotton, you can feed them in through the pickup hole and drag them through fairly easily.
    You'll need to work out your earth wire strategy in advance though...

15. Liked by: Borrel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast