Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: SG Kit - First Build Diary

I thing with regards to the pickup cavities I will just mount the pickups to a custom shape scratch plate.

Superglued the crack and squeezed some filler in. Hopefully I can smooth it all out. The whole body is getting re sprayed for exactly the reason of the bleeding.
    Sonic, I used 3m tape but I reckon I maybe left it on a little too long and the blue bled into the cream. So yeah a complete respray when the paint arrives. If you can recommend a better tape please do, always game for trying new things
    mcCreed, The neck is actually the reverse of this, cream with one blue stripe up the back hopefully I can pull it off better on the 2nd attempt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    There are a STACK of 3M tape products for various applications, but what you are looking for is 3M FINE LINE TAPE 233. There are a couple of variants and other brands do versions as well. It's about 5mm wide, so you mostly just use it to get the nice sharp edge and then overlap some normal painters tape to cover the larger areas. Last time I checked there was a similar product at Autobarn, but you might need to go to a paint supplies place.

It might also be worth trying that green Frog Tape from the big green shed. Not sure it comes in thin formats, but I've had some nice edges using it.

Generally speaking you should remove it once the paint has tacked off before it fully cures so the edge doesn't tear.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks sonic. I’ll research those. I reckon I left the tape on for too long as you say. One coat of blue wasn’t enough so I had to wait until it had dried a bit before applying a 2nd coat. Then I took the tape off.

Trying out this tape as recommended by sonic.

Restarting this to see if I can get the lines sharper.

I used this for my SG Bass - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3M-471-F...IAAOSwYGBZiogp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image001.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	39464  

Did you spray the white first, wait for it to dry, then tape it off and spray blue? The lines look super sharp!

Oh man. Now i HAVE to build my own AC Cobra SG

They look awesome!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8