Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ESB-4SC - First build!

ESB-4SC - First build!

Hi All!

My father and I are working together on building an ESB-4SC that arrived a couple of weeks ago. Pitbull's was the only hollow body bass kit we could find online, and happily the consensus on the forum seems to be that it's a good one. We've decided to build some instruments as a diversion from our regular work, and I've always wanted to learn the bass, so here we go.

First some confessions: I barely play guitar. My father doesn't play guitar at all. And neither of us has ever played a bass guitar. Also, we've never disassembled a guitar or looked at the innards. Luckily we're pretty handy guys, and there's a lot of great info here. So, we think we've got a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.

After oohing and aahing at the contents of the box, and confirming that we had all of the parts, my father did the sanding on the neck and body. Perhaps we should have checked neck alignment first, but I wasn't going to be around for a while and we were eager to get work started on the project. Luckily, no ill came of it.

Next, we bolted the neck on to check neck alignment.

The neck was actually a tiny bit too big to fit in the pocket correctly, so some careful judicious sanding was needed. Also, there was a bit of...slag? in the pocket (wood bits in the corners that hadn't been routed out correctly), so a bit of time with a file was needed to clean that up. Once we were sure the neck was seating in place properly, we threw some clamps on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160623_154901 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	12276 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160623_154904 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	12277

...then we had to learn what a floating bridge and trapeze tailpiece are. Luckily, Google (and this forum) to the rescue! After figuring out the proper alignment of the tailpiece and putting in a couple of screws, we found that the action was WAY too high. We knew the nut was too tall, but the bigger problem lay with the bridge. Luckily user Dekka28 has been down this road before us, building this same guitar, also as his first build, and he asked a LOT of excellent questions in his build thread here:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4222

In regard to the bridge, Dingobass gave the excellent tip of putting a piece of 180 sandpaper upside down on the body of the guitar, and using that to sand the base of the bridge (go up and down, neck to trapeze, not side to side, to make sure the bridge conforms to the curve of the guitar).

We sanded the bridge lower than it needed to be, so that we won't need to be at the bottom of the bridge height adjusters when we get into final intonation. When we were happy that all of our measurements are at least in the ballpark, we unclamped the neck from the body, and knocked out the nut and placed an order for a TUSQ nut from amazon.

Next we stained the body and neck, deciding that we'd do the staining while the guitar was still in two pieces, and then glue in the neck so the guitar could be finished as a single unit. We used Solar Lux dyes (because our friend had some on hand, and we'd read that they were good for this sort of thing), applying medium brown mahogany to the neck and the sides of the body, and golden fruitwood to the front and back. (We did the back, then let it dry thoroughly. Then did the neck and sides, letting them dry. Then we did the front.) The dyes looked great while they were wet, but ended up very "flat" looking when they dried.

Name:	stainback.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	12279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stainsideneck.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	12280Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stainfront.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	12281

(I'm out of attachments on this post, so tale continued next post!)

Name:	frontstained.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	12309

Stain application went well, with two small issues. There's a smudge on the back where we got some of the dark stain on the lighter back of the guitar, and there's a place near the neck pocket that must have had some glue in the wood. No matter how much we sanded, we couldn't get the glue out enough to get that spot to accept the dye the same way the rest of the guitar did. Ah well, we'll find a way to hide it.

Next we moved on to gluing the neck into the body. We used plenty of hide glue, clamped, and let the whole thing sit for more than a day.

Name:	IMG_20160623_195428 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	12310

Next step is to apply the finish. We've decided to go with Tru Oil, as we want a thick glossy finish, and lots of coats of Tru Oil seems to be a popular way to accomplish that. The color was very flat and plain looking after it dried, but luckily the very first coat of Tru Oil began to allow the grain and the beauty of the wood to show through.

Name:	DSC04981 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	208 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	12311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04982 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	12312

I've been away from the shop, so my father built a rig to suspend the assembled guitar, to allow for putting oil on the entire thing at once. We didn't want to have to deal with doing the front, letting it dry, then doing the back--if we didn't have to.

My father writes:

"It became pretty evident after applying the first coat of TO to our bass that instead of waiting for either side to dry why not make something to suspend it and be able to apply a coat to the entire guitar.

Construction was pretty simple. we took to short pieces of 5/16 rod, bent into a J and threaded the ends. Next was to drill a piece of bar stock to mount the hooks and a third to secure the center pin, this was threaded on one end the other welded into the bar holding the J hooks. You will also note at the top I drilled a hole for a pin, a safety measure just in case the nuts loosened enough to let the rod slip out and all come crashing to the floor, something I suspect would not happen till the very last coat was applied. and I added the "accessory" T bar for easy rotation while oiling. This will also work for a six-a-side headstock simply by making one hook longer to suspend using two holes.

I attached my holder to a beam in the shop, other suggestions may be the end of a kitchen cabinet, drill some holes in the side of your refrigerator attaching with easily obtained sheet metal screws, this would allow easy and quick access to a beer(grog) while working, any door, even the shower but I'd caution that you may not be able to bathe while finishing your guitar. The options are endless, good luck."

Name:	guitarsuspended.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	12313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanger1.JPG 
Views:	187 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	12314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanger2.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	12315

Now to solder together some wiring while we apply a couple of dozen coats of Tru Oil.

If there are any pitfalls upcoming that might catch us off guard, we're very happy for any advice from folks who have been down this road before. This forum has been a great help to us so far. It's nice that there are so many folks out there eager to help each other when trouble arises!

That's looking great! When I was first thinking of taking up guitar I read a quote " Buy the guitar that you will WANT to play" I think there may be fights over who gets to play this one!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Thanks Dedman! My father and I live about two hours apart, so we might have to build a second bass so we both have one to play with!

Four coats of Tru Oil applied:

Name:	DSC04989 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	12316

Name:	DSC04990 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	12317

Name:	DSC04992 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	12318

BTW, does anybody know why the thumbnails of my pics are rotated 90 degrees, but they are oriented correctly when you click on them?
    Last edited by HooligansMusicLab; 29-06-2016 at 09:15 AM.

wow love the build Hooligan, the colour choice is excellent and coming along really nicely. Love the hanging jig you made. Looks like an interesting workshop a vintage car and a cool looking motorbike what are they ?

With the rotated thumbnails I'm not sure, sometimes they come out the right way, main thing is the full size pics are orientated the correct way.

You will defintely need a bass each so build another model for the next one !

For someone who has never built a kit I am really impressed at your knowledge and mods you have had to do, you really have done your homework
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Keep em talking wokka, I'm gonna run off with that Indian
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

no worries Dedman is that what the bike is an Indian ? interesting looking donk is it a V-twin ?

Completed builds

flat head V-twin, I'm guessing late 40's early 50's by the rear end. Great bikes!
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

cool Dedman you do know your early bikes. Sure Hooligan will confirm when he gets online.
    One of my favourite movies is Worlds fastest Indian, inspiring true story

Completed builds

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast