Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: How A Valve Guitar Amp Works.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Nice stuff doc, pity I don't have my Electronics 3 text book from 1st year at college I could have scanned the relevant bits.

It broke simple circuits such as that one into the various stages and explained how each worked how each of the stages interacted and how to calculate the component values for a given outcome.

I'm going to enjoy this thread because it will jog the memory, not only of the technology and associated maths but also some great times

Cheers mate, when I do the write-up I'm going to deliberately keep the explanations simple and fairly easy to understand without going too deeply into the mathematics, this is so that those who aren't that well versed in electronics can follow it.

Here's a pretty good site that's fairly easy on the grey matter

https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm

Here's a pretty good site that's fairly easy on the grey matter

https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm

Cheers for that mate, that link has just saved me a whole heap of typing on my computer keyboard so it's definitely worth including in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Cheers for that mate, that link has just saved me a whole heap of typing on my computer keyboard so it's definitely worth including in this thread.
    No worries, I was researching something else on TDPRI in the Glowing Bottle sub forum and stumbled across it.

Make sure you credit the source as you work your way through it for stuff to share, folks get very narky over on the car club forum when something is obviously copied and pasted

I've made 3 valve amps so far and all have had the exact tone I was looking for.

Funny thing is, I have absolutely NO idea how they work, even though my knowledge of electricity is way above average. (I'm an electrical trades teacher at TAFE)
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

No worries, I was researching something else on TDPRI in the Glowing Bottle sub forum and stumbled across it.

Make sure you credit the source as you work your way through it for stuff to share, folks get very narky over on the car club forum when something is obviously copied and pasted

Definitely a good idea, I try to put the info in my own words so that any issues with crediting can be minimized, but still giving credit where it's due is a good thing and honorable too.

Gday Doc,

Have you got another chapter ready to go yet, I need some prodding to get into building a Trainwreck clone

Gday Doc,

Have you got another chapter ready to go yet, I need some prodding to get into building a Trainwreck clone
    Not yet, but I'll see if I can do another chapter soon, had some other things occupying my attention, one other forum member added a link to a website that pretty much covers how Valve amps work in a lot of detail, hence the reason why I haven't done another chapter yet.

Sorry about that link, I only had a quick scan and didn't realise how deep it went

Sorry about that link, I only had a quick scan and didn't realise how deep it went

No worries, no harm done, the website article is actually really informative and definitely worth including in this thread.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5