Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Discussion on developing Build Your Own Amplifier Cab

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Here's a tip:

To make it easier to transport your new Speaker Cab short distances, consider installing a set of Casters on the bottom of it, and a couple of carrying handles on the sides, saves hurting your back, which is not a fun thing to do, believe me, you can buy Casters from your local Big Green Shed (i.e. Bunnings), I tend to use the grey coloured ones that have an integral braking-lever system, works a treat.

These are similar to the ones I installed on my Marshall amp, you need four of them:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ambassad...astor_p3940241

While at your local Big Green Shed, also buy a pack of 8G X 20mm Timber screws, these are perfect for attaching your new Casters to your Speaker Cab, they work a treat.
    I always put Castors on the Sides of my Bigger Bass Cabs, That way, you don't need Brakes, Just stand it up and you're on solid ground....

Quote Originally Posted by Hobastard View Post
    I always put Castors on the Sides of my Bigger Bass Cabs, That way, you don't need Brakes, Just stand it up and you're on solid ground....

That's fair enough, my whole mindset is that it's better to have something and not need it, than to not have it and need it a lot.

I recently popped into my local cashies shop to see what they had in stock, and saw that they had a Marshall Quad Box going for about $250.00, I'm going to have another close look at it tomorrow while I stop off at Jaycar Electronics (it's right next door to cashies) to buy some new rubber stick-on feet for my Korg FK-1 VCF pedal, I want to find out the impedance and power-rating of the Marshall cab that's at cashies cause I could use it with either my Peavey Renown amp or my Fender Super Twin amp.

I used this web based calculator to build my 2x12 cabinet.

https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Cal...akerBoxVolume/

Some of the dimensions I knew I wanted, but others needed to be calculated out. Calculators for things like driver displacement and resonant frequency and the like are all available.
    The programs only allow for 1 speaker so I simply doubled the cubic volume for two speakers. My cabinet is also ported which is my compromise to having neither a sealed or open back cabinet.

I used 19mm form ply from the big green shed at $12 per 600x1200mm sheet. 3 sheets for under $40 was the cheapest way I could figure to get a durable black finish and reasonable build material in one hit...

Cabinet is now loaded with two 16 ohm Celestions in parallel to give me a 8 ohms load... 1 x V30 and 1 x Creamback G12H75
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1449-a.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	19942  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3