Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: FrankenWashie's Second PBG Build, SV-1

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I would probably hesitate to use the Rustoleum Clear again, it seems a bit delicate. I noticed when mounting the strap buttons and clearing the cover plate screw holes that it chipped quite easily. Similar story with the recessed trem spring cover plate edges.
    I will chase down a more durable clear for the next one (Cabothane has come up a few times in threads, and there is always Automotive stuff)
    I used the Rustoleum 2X clear on my JK-1, and it definitely took longer to cure. After hanging for about a month, it was still a little soft and gummy. It was enough to worry me because it should have been cured by then. I checked on it about a week later, though, and all was good. There are some not-so-great areas on the guitar, but that was more my fault and inexperience than the clearcoat. I've seen some disaster stories about mixing and matching types of paint and even brands, which is the main reason I went with the Rustoleum, because they made the type of paint I wanted. I'd be hesitant to mix and match, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spychocyco View Post
    I used the Rustoleum 2X clear on my JK-1, and it definitely took longer to cure. After hanging for about a month, it was still a little soft and gummy. It was enough to worry me because it should have been cured by then. I checked on it about a week later, though, and all was good. There are some not-so-great areas on the guitar, but that was more my fault and inexperience than the clearcoat. I've seen some disaster stories about mixing and matching types of paint and even brands, which is the main reason I went with the Rustoleum, because they made the type of paint I wanted. I'd be hesitant to mix and match, though.
    Agreed especially re the clear drying time. I have used the Cabothane clear over rustoleum with no problems, they are both oil based which helps.

i had a couple of spare Froyds, as I needed to get another for the IB-Freebie, so I had a selection of springs to choose from. The two I fitted seemed tighter coiled than the three originals so we’ll let it shift and settle and see where it ends up.
    you are right about the Allen screws, though I have a fairly good supply of spares. I will hunt around for a FR at a good price, as I posted before, the FR on my FrankenWashie is solid and unyielding, far better, though it cost more than the SV kit.
    I believe the difference between the original floyd and the fr special is the country of manufacture (Asian rather than German) and the trem block which is alloy on the special not brass and the string retainers which are also alloy not steel. All the other bits are correct and decent steel. The one on my Frankenstein is excellent, a huge leap up from the copies and about 30% of the price of the German one. If you need to save the money to buy another kit this might be an option!!!

I've been looking forward to an update on this one. I love the inlays on this!

I agree with you on the Floyd, I just couldn’t tune mine without the bridge lifting right out, but I didn’t add extra springs, I stretched the outside two into the centre pins and screwed the claw almost right up to the body.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4D2CBAFB-19C2-4019-A630-06DFB7DE7BE2.jpeg 
Views:	209 
Size:	612.5 KB 
ID:	26188
    Looking great though.
    Build-1 ES-3 June 2016 GOTM.
    Build-2 IB-1S
    Build-3. ES-12G June 2019 GOTM.
    Build-4 Gene Simmons axe bass. 43 year project done.
    Build-5. TL-1S May 2021 GOTM joint winner.

6. Liked by: FrankenWashie

Yeah I went there initially wth the three springs Wayne, but it just felt wrong and the instability it caused was unworkable.
    it sits angled slightly back now so I figure when I change up to the heavier gauge set it will pull it up a bit harder.
    The nut is a pain and even a moderate tension on the locking screws caused a strip. Will pull it apart and see what can be done with it, I’ll persist with it until it pees me off enough to change it out completely.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Yeah I went there initially wth the three springs Wayne, but it just felt wrong and the instability it caused was unworkable.
    it sits angled slightly back now so I figure when I change up to the heavier gauge set it will pull it up a bit harder.
    The nut is a pain and even a moderate tension on the locking screws caused a strip. Will pull it apart and see what can be done with it, I’ll persist with it until it pees me off enough to change it out completely.
    Been through two of the knock off nuts, stripped them both out, so that's why I'm sourcing a proper one for mine too!

Can't go wrong with a Gotoh locking trem.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe3334 View Post
    Can't go wrong with a Gotoh locking trem.
    Good point Joe, I hadn’t thought of the Gotoh option. It might be interesting to see how that stacks up against ‘Ze German’ version on my FrankenWashie.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21