Thread: Cleared for takeoff

Cool JMA-1 Cleared for takeoff

I ordered a JMA-1 kit and I am all geeked up about getting it.
    It is cleared for takeoff, but not yet on the plane from Australia.
    Wish us luck.
    Last edited by rogerV; 05-06-2023 at 11:52 PM.

Best of luck, Roger. Out of curiosity, where is it heading?

Maryland, USA.
    It got here yesterday. I am pretty pleased, except that it came with a pre-shaped headstock. I was looking forward to designing my own. The image I ordered off of shows an uncut block headstock.

I am eager to get sanding. Wondering what the best grain filler should be before I try "General Finishes Water Based Dye, 1 Pint, Blue."
    That is what I am leaning towards curranty. Though I am still learning the possibilities....

Quote Originally Posted by rogerV View Post
    Maryland, USA.
    It got here yesterday. I am pretty pleased, except that it came with a pre-shaped headstock. I was looking forward to designing my own. The image I ordered off of shows an uncut block headstock.

I am eager to get sanding. Wondering what the best grain filler should be before I try "General Finishes Water Based Dye, 1 Pint, Blue."
    That is what I am leaning towards curranty. Though I am still learning the possibilities....
    Hi rogerV, I would have expected an uncut headstock also! Does it look well finished?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I think with GF Dye stains you probably should not fill first. You may want to read here...

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-fin...ased-dye-stain

I think it should work well on Ash. Follow the directions for open grain woods on ash. Closed grain on Maple. I would test it first someplace that doesn't show to make sure it's not blotchy.

I'd raise the grain first. I have used it on paulownia which GF does not really recommend. I added 10% High Performance clear coat to guard against blotchiness and it worked pretty well. On ash you should not need to add anything, but I'd still test it.

FWIW, I filled with Aquacoat clear, which is great, but a little pricy. I also put a couple of coats of 1lb cut shellac (platina) between the dye stain and the Aquacoat, which worked pretty well, but I was using red and you're using blue so I'd test first ;-)
    Last edited by fender3x; 28-05-2023 at 09:33 AM.

6. Liked by: rogerV

By "well finished" do you mean cut well. Yes, it is. It is pretty much like a Fenders Strat shape. I will need some sanding, but it is fine and will work nicely. It has a pretty rosewood fretboard (at least it is supposed to be rosewood).

It doesn't look like they sell the paddle head neck, if I wanted to get one.

Dont forget to post a few piccy so we can follow along
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

9. Liked by: rogerV

If I have questions or if I am asking for advice, is it better to continue to post in this thread?
    Or is it better to create a new post with the specific question?

Thanks.

I may need a lot of help.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerV View Post
    If I have questions or if I am asking for advice, is it better to continue to post in this thread?
    Or is it better to create a new post with the specific question?

Thanks.

I may need a lot of help.
    If you haven't already, start a Build Diary, that would be the best place to post all your build-specific questions.
    One benefit to doing this is for your own future reference, as well as being all in one place rather than scattered about in the forum.

Start here: "My Build Diary"
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

12. Liked by: rogerV