Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions re GR-1SF

Questions re GR-1SF

Hey,

Thinking about building a GR-1SF for my first build. Have had plenty of experience fixing and enhancing guitars for myself, family and mates, but never built one from scratch before (kit either). Never had a hollow-body electric before either. I have a few questions, if someone would be so kind as to give me some guidance...

1. How thick/deep is the body? From the photos it looks rather deep, can someone give me a measurement? Couldn't find one in the specs for the kit.

2. The set neck - how difficult is it to get this right? I've only ever worked with bolt-on neck guitars before.

3. What sort of glue do you use? Is it just PVA-style wood glue, or some special super-strength formula?

4. Does the neck have a truss rod? If so, is it already in the neck when you get the kit?

5. How good is the copycat Bigsby trem unit? Is it worth splashing out for a real B70?

6. Installing the pickups, pots, switch etc - I take it this has to be done before installing the neck (for ease of access), and then once the neck is done pray that nothing ever goes wrong with the electrics?

7. Once complete, is it neck heavy? Being hollow body I assume that the neck will pull the guitar down?

8. If I use the Dingotone to stain the body, how careful do I have to be with the binding? i.e. will it stain the binding if I get any on it?

That's it for starters. Sorry for so many questions.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Peter,

I can't answer all these questions but other will chime in as well.

3. the experts here say don't use PVA, but use an aliphatic glue like Titebond original. Pitbull does sell small containers of suitable glue.
    4. the neck will have an already installed truss rod.
    5. the bigsby copies on Pitbull guitars work fine. I've had no problems with the one on my thinline TL1.
    6. I haven't done this but there is a trick to this where the electronics go in through the F-hole. There are details on other builds of semi-hollow guitars on the site.
    8. standard wisdom is that if you polish the binding to a very fine grain the stain will have no "tooth" to bind to. If some stain gets of the binding it should then easily polish off.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Overlord of Music
    My 2c worth.

1. Standard acoustic guitar depth, I believe.

2. It's as easy as setting up a bolt on, that you can't take off again. Just be thorough with your prep and it will fine.

3. Titebond. Don't stuff around with anything else.

4. Yes. Yes.

5. You can always upgrade at a later time, give the kit version a shot.

6. As Fretty says, it all goes through the f hole.

7. Unknown. Has anyone finished one of these yet?

8. Stain will get onto the binding, but it's really easy to get off. Either with steel wool, or a razor blade.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks for your replies fellas. Will order the kit. Gotta figure out the colour too, so I can order the Dingotone at the same time.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    My 2c worth.

1. Standard acoustic guitar depth, I believe.
    Sorry to be "That Guy" Pablo, but there's no such thing as a standard acoustic!! Even if it is just a Dreadnought, they vary from Brand to Brand.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Hey Pete, I haven't built one of these kits but I would guess the body width would be about 90-100mm. They are much thicker than the ES-1G guitars. I wouldn't think it would be neck heavy, with my ES-1G the body would weigh about the same but it sits pretty neutral on a guitar strap.
    I think just about any Dingotone colour will look killer on this axe.
    The wiring will be accessable through the F hole and bridge pickup hole so don't worry you will be able to access the wiring if it needs tweaking or upgrading once the neck has been set
    Good luck with the build !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Overlord of Music
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
    Sorry to be "That Guy" Pablo, but there's no such thing as a standard acoustic!! Even if it is just a Dreadnought, they vary from Brand to Brand.
    No, no, be that guy, you are indeed correct. I should have said average.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    No, no, be that guy, you are indeed correct. I should have said average.
    Haha, I was hoping you wouldn't take the wrong way!
    Don't worry, up until about 18mths ago, I didn't realise just how many different variations of Acoustic Guitars there was! It's been a very informative time for me!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Thanks Wokka! I did find some measurements on the "Additional Information" tab next to Description. It says 8 cm. However, the additional information for the ES-1G also says 8 cm, and they're clearly different depths.

I guess it doesn't really matter too much. I just wanted to make sure, with my expanding girth, that I could actually reach the strings! Guess it's a good excuse to lose weight

Don't laugh , I took up guitar again after nearly 30yrs to give my hands something to do rather than light cigs or shovel food in my mouth ...it worked
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G