DAY 1

It begins!

Finally had some time this morning to set up a bit of a work bench in the "packing room" (sorry Phil).

Nice view of the Street and the cardboard boxes piling up on the front porch (yes, the blinds desperately need a clean).

I randomly picked out one of the 30 ES-5V kits I'd purchased. I didn't go through them to pick out "a good one", they all look pretty good... plus I'm extremely lazy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES-5V 01.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	615.4 KB 
ID:	11858

Neck fit looks very good, the neck is straight and there's just a couple of very minor flaws. There's a small (less than 1mm in diameter) chip in the rosewood fretboard, just behind one of the frets. Plus there's a very shallow 'hollow' in the edge of the fretboard around the 15th fret. Can't really see it but I can feel it when running my thumb over it.

The edge hollow doesn't concern me but I will need to fill the fretboard surface chip.

There's some really nice basswood grain, front and back, which I think will come up nicely with the Dingotone burst I have in mind.

Name:	ES-5V 03.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	560.2 KB 
ID:	11859 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES-5V 04.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	11861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ES-5V 05.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	621.3 KB 
ID:	11860

Here's the look I have in mind:

Name:	ES-5V Ex.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	11862

No plans for upgrades at this stage, although one of John Benson's Custom P-90 Dog Ear pickups would be nice.

So, while I'm waiting on Dingobass for his custom burst kit (Black Stump, Nullabor Ochre, Karijini Red and Coolangatta Gold based), I guess it's time to start sanding.