Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: NON-PBG Build 2 - LP Build Diary for DIY Guitars GLP-40BBK

Hi Buddy, sanding will get rid of it quite easily but be very careful on that precious spalt cap as you can sand through without noticing before it is too late.

In the PUP cavities, do the PUP's still have enough clearance? If so, nothing to worry about, in fact you may even prefer the dark background down in those holes. If not, maybe scrape out from above with a very sharp chisel or Stanley knife blade. The aim is not to touch any wood, just scrape off the Timber Mate as it will be almost like a plastic film on top of everything. Once you get back to the timber switch to light sanding, probably 240 or 320.

Hi Alkay, don't worry too much about timbermate in the pup cavities, you should be able to remove most of it with a narrow paint scraper, chisel or large flat screwdriver. I usually leave a bit of TM residue and just line the cavities with copper shielding. Next build maybe mask tape off the cavities as it does tend to go everywhere !

As Waz says be careful not to do any damage to the veneer
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hi Alkay, don't worry too much about timbermate in the pup cavities, you should be able to remove most of it with a narrow paint scraper, chisel or large flat screwdriver. I usually leave a bit of TM residue and just line the cavities with copper shielding. Next build maybe mask tape off the cavities as it does tend to go everywhere !

Ok thanks waz and woks,

I was thinking stanley knife or chisel but I thought I would check here first.

Anyway, here is a pic of the mess:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	445.6 KB 
ID:	12168

Cheers,

Alkay

Doesn't look too bad. Even 0000 steel wool would take that off if you think you need to.

...and mask the cavities yes. I thought I could get away with it. Anyway, thank you. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Doesn't look too bad. Even 0000 steel wool would take that off if you think you need to.
    Cool, I was thinking I need to use the conductive shielding paint I bought in the PUP cavities so that mess will not make it um....conduct to well hey haha.

I'll remove it all very carefully.

Hi Alkay the timbermate doesn't look too bad in the cavities. Definitely clean up the neck pocket so the neck heel fits flush.
    Rest in the pickup cavities will come out with a chisel carefully or even sandpaper, but don't worry if there's a bit of residue in them.
    I just use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the particles as it's messy stuff
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 23-06-2016 at 04:15 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi Alkay the timbermate doesn't look too bad in the cavities. Definitely clean up the neck pocket so the neck heel fits flush.
    Rest in the pickup cavities will come out with a chisel carefully or even sandpaper, but don't worry if there's a bit of residue in them.
    I just use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the particles as it's messy stuff
    Ok thanks wokkaboy,

I'll do that, I have access to an air compressor I can use so that should do the trick. Might be a few days before I get to that. The weather isn't so great here. My other build is coming along nice and I'm about to do another coat of tru oil.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Ok it's been awhile on this build because of the problems with the other one but this is where I am at:

- 1 coat of timbermate over the whole body. I can't see any obvious blemishes over the body. Maybe it was 2 coats, a few beers were involved back then so I'm not absolutely sure haha. I'm on 320 at this stage.

I have seen a video on raising the grain after sanding which uses denatured alcohol(metho) to achieve this and then hit it with 320 again. Then move up to 400 and repeat with the metho with each grit as you go up. Apparently it raises the fine fibres so they can be carefully brushed off to give a smooth finish.

I'm thinking about trying this but here are some photos first.

Front:

Name:	1.png 
Views:	303 
Size:	560.3 KB 
ID:	14603

See the white dots that don't look so great beside the control cavity, any thoughts on fixing this:

Name:	2.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	548.6 KB 
ID:	14604

Cheers,

Alkay.

Hi mate, timber looks like Mahogany and the white dots are showing up the grain pores which may not have been sanded off.

May need to go back to 180 or 240 to sand those off as higher grades will just polish everything all around and do nothing towards removing the slight grain indented bits if that makes sense.

Alternatively, depending on what you plan to use as a finish, sometimes additional top coats will act as a grain filler but it does mean more wet sanding further down the track if you are chasing a smooth as glass finish.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast