Quote Originally Posted by Old Tooth Hopkins View Post
While we're on this topic, I was researching a similar issue, and whether aluminium can be used and came across this interesting thread on strat-talk...

Quote:

"I can't find the technical links now, but aluminium has better shielding characteristics at audio frequencies and is especially better at shielding against the particular noises such as those generated by fluorescent lights.

I think it has a correspondingly higher effect on the tone; I shielded a Tele with al foil tape and did not notice a change in sound - although that was a bright guitar to start with. My Strat came with a thickish al pickguard and always sounded a little dull/warm. Changing this out for a plastic guard with foil shielding really let the highs sparkle, quite noticeably to me.

One of the main advantages of copper is that it can be found with conductive glue, and can very easily be soldered. People give good reports of its function as a shield too."

What are the experienced builders' views on this?

Thanks
Virtually any conductive metal can be (and has been) used as shielding.

Materials in common use today in the electronics industry are metals like Tin plate, block Aluminium, sheet steel and galvanised steel.... Equally valid options are things like Gold leaf (think of the Apollo lunar landers), Lead sheet and cast Iron...

Hopefully you all can see a theme here in regards to shielding ... Aluminium or Copper, both work equally as well...