Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2 humbucker 4 pot pickup wiring help

2 humbucker 4 pot pickup wiring help

Hi, greetings from U.S. First build, 5 string bass. Per the 2 humbucker, 4 pot wiring diagram, Looks like the only wire from each pickup that's used is the white and ground. Doesn't seem right. The white & red are twisted together and the green and bare are as well. Black is by itself. Do I separate these And just use the white wire as the only wire or use the red and white together and the grounds from the pickups, rest are all jumpers. Just cut off the black wire?
    Thanks

Welcome Abe. It would be best if you let us know what pickups you are using. Photos will also help. And no, don't cut off any wires, they will all be there for a reason.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Hi Abe, welcome to the forum. Assume you are building a IB-5 kit with coil splitable pickups ?

As Fretty has suggested please let us know the pickup brand so we can check the wire colours.

If you aren't coil splitting then it sounds like red and white are the coil ends, so tape them up, sounds like green and bare are earth wires and black is probably your hot wire.

Do you have a multimeter handy to do some tests ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hi Abe, welcome to the forum. Assume you are building a IB-5 kit with coil splitable pickups ?

As Fretty has suggested please let us know the pickup brand so we can check the wire colours.

If you aren't coil splitting then it sounds like red and white are the coil ends, so tape them up, sounds like green and bare are earth wires and black is probably your hot wire.

Do you have a multimeter handy to do some tests ?
    Thanks, yes the kit is the EB5, will snap a few pictures and send later. Yes, I do gave a multimeter.

Thanks

Thanks, yes it is the IB5 kit, assumed the pickups are humbucker. I do have a multimeter. If I can figure out how to resize my photos, will send you pictures. I printed a wiring diagram from the site titled "2 Humbucker pickups, 4 pots wiring diagram.

Hi Abe, that's where the confusion may have come from (you talked about the pickups having 4 wire colours ?), you may have a guitar wiring diagram with coil splittable pickups. Also your diagram may have a 3 way switch which the IB-5 doesn't have a switch. Or do you mean you got the diagram from the Pitbull site ?
    If you are using the supplied pickups they have a hot and earth wire only. Use this diagram
    http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-con...s/pdf/IB-5.pdf
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 27-04-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

That helps, I did download the schematic from pit bull site. I am using the schematic you referenced. My confusion is that the red and white were twisted together (same for the shield and green. So, per the schematic, the only wires used from the pickups are the white and shield? All the rest of the wires (black, red, green) are not used. Cant comprehend how a circuit could be complete with one hot wire and a shield.

That diagram is from when the stock pickups had just a 'hot' white inner core and an outer shield/ground. If your pickups are 4-wire then it sounds like the black is your hot and the green and bare connect to ground. The red and white are the series link connecting the coils, so if they're soldered together just insulate them so they can't short on anything. Need pics of the pickup and wires to be sure.
    Scott.

Picture of pickup

That may be the issue, having a lot of problems attaching a picture ( pic to large) or PDFs (file size to large). Is there an email address I can send these to?

OK, hopefully this pic is attached and will shed some light on my question. None of the video guides show the 4 wire humbucker.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast