Thread: My first ever guitar build GS 2Q

My first ever guitar build GS 2Q

G壇ay all, after well over 20+ years of playing, I知 embarking on my first build.

Over the years I致e build everything from Gas turbine model jet airplanes to my recent a full restoration of a Mini Moke, and many other projects around the home, gazebos decks ect.
    I知 a airline pilot by trade, so atm of course I知 not flying.

I have, and no doubt will have many questions about assembling and finishing this project. I want it to be as of high standard as possible. I will not be hurrying this project, as I want the finish to be beautiful. So time will be taken for proper curing times.

So far on arrival I am quite impressed with what I have received. Only missing my dingo tone kit, which is on back order.
    Contrary to what I just stated, I wish to get started on this project, and as I do not have the stains as yet, most likely take over a week to arrive up here in Cairns. I would like to know alternative stains that I can acquire locally? Most common paint hardware outlets? I will save the dingo tone for later projects.

I知 planning on a black/ blue burst, with a high gloss top coat. Much like on some of the PRS and Schecter models.

Also, dumb question on the stock kit the humbucking pickups are not marked which is for bridge and which is for neck positions.... I will probably replace these after fitment and testing if not satisfied, prob something from the bare knuckle range. Will also install coil splitting, using a push/ pull switch/ pot.

A long post, I know. Appreciate all responses.

Cheers

Matt
    Last edited by Cosmo21; 24-04-2020 at 10:43 AM.

I can't help with the finish selection, as I am using Duplicolor acrylic enamels for a solid finish.

With the pickups, I think that the kits come with identical pickups. However, if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance between the hot (white) and ground (bare) wires. On average, a higher resistance means more winds and higher output. So you could measure both and put the highest resistance one in the bridge.

Hi Matt, and welcome.

With that kit being maple veneer on mahogany, there are a couple of tips I'll offer. They are no way the only ways of finishing this guitar, but it may give you an idea of how you want to proceed and what materials you want to look at getting.

For the veneer, you can use any oil-based stain, water-based or alcohol-based dye. I prefer alcohol-based because it raises the grain less than water-based. I would say oil-based stain is going to be somewhere in between, and TBH, the raising of the grain isn't huge with any, but there are differences.

However, what you use for stain or dye can also dictate what you put on top as a clear coat, so you should decide if you want polyurethane (or other polymerised top coat) or a type of lacquer (acrylic or nitro).
    Any of those will be compatible with water or alcohol-based dyes, but if you use an oil-based stain and want to use lacquer, there are two things to remember: 1) that stain must be completely dry (ie: solvent completely gassed-off). 2) seal the stain with shellac prior to applying lacquer.
    There's also the method of application to consider. Are going to do a spray or a wipe-on finish?

For the mahogany parts, you will likely require grain filling if you're wanting a smooth as glass glossy finish (which is what I take from your OP). There considerations to the type and method of grain filling based on finish type as well, but after the grain filling, the things I mentioned above re: staining/dying and top coat are also applicable.

For alcohol dyes you can get aniline powdered dyes which you mix/dissolve in metho, or you can buy it pre-mixed in liquid form and mix/dilute as needed. You can also use artist inks that alcohol-based and mix/dilute them.

I don't know Cairns, so can't recommend where to go, but you can get inks from art supply stores and leather dyes form some shoe repair stores. Also fabric dyes (like RIT) can used on timber as well and typically water-based.

Hope this helps and not confounds.

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The neck humbuckers usually (but not always) will have a longer lead than the bridge. If your kit has 4 conductor wiring then you can coil split easily. If they are two conductor then you've gotta do some surgery (which I wouldn't by the way recommend for your first build).

Hi Cosmo
    Congrats on getting your kit.
    I am jealous as I am still waiting for mine to arrive.

Humbucker pickups ...
    If yours are already mounted in their surrounds then the one with the thickest surround is the bridge one.
    Another way is to check the pickup screws/rods at each string position. The widest ones are the bridge (normally only a couple of mm difference).

I am a newbe to all this so double check my comments.

Good luck
    Ricky
    From one aeromodeller speedfreak to another!
    Last edited by Ricky; 24-04-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Just to add

Thanks fellas, re the dyes. I could probably get fabric dyes from lincraft? I値l also check out Bunnings. I think I値l stay away from oil based dyes/ stains and stick with alcohol or water. I was thinking I would rub on, but I have a spray rig if required. Was gonna spray clear coat, some sorta high gloss poly.
    How痴 dingotone compare to these others you致e tried?

Re pick ups, yep thanks. I got it figured out. Read the bloody manual. I should know better🤦*♂️ They are only 2 wire jobbies.
    I知 gonna get a bare knuckle warpig for the bridge at this stage see how it goes, then get another later on for neck. These are 4 wire, so will coil split.
    Now gotta figure out how to wire them.

The guitar looks great, excited to get her running.

Cheers

Matt

I could probably get fabric dyes from lincraft?
    Yes

I was thinking I would rub on, but I have a spray rig if required. Was gonna spray clear coat, some sorta high gloss poly.
    Ah, yes, I didn't clarify, but wipe on dye. Clear coat wipe on or spray. I would spray if you have the gear and facilities.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...