Thread: What masking tape should I use?

What masking tape should I use?

Hi again DB,

Thank you for your previous tips.

Everyone uses this blue tape I see. What is it?

My first les p kit was a disaster. I pulled the white tape off masking the bindings around the body and it splintered the wood on the body. It also bleeded through onto the white bindings on the body.

I have a new build I have started in this forum and would really like to get a nice finish. I have seen so many great finishes here and they look so good.

I think the wood on this model(not a PBG model) has used two different types of wood and it doesn't look too nice so I was thinking of doing a solid colour to hide the grain. It's the GLP-40 one I just started in the General section of this forum.

Appreciate any input if you wouldn't mind looking at my post. You will see the body of the guitar and know what I mean.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Hi Alkay,
    Just logged on for a quick look at the forum before I pass out and saw your questions.
    I will have a closer look first thing in the morning when my brain is working better....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

DB will confirm what tape he uses, but I will add that the critical element of masking up is how you apply tape and how you remove it.

for tape that is extremely tacky and if you want to make it less so, you can take a long strip and run it along your jeans or similar item of clothing that you might be wearing. This assists in making it less tacky.
    when removing tape from a body, you are going to get some tear out. Wood fibre or paint will be removed spoiling your finish. Can you prevent this, yes you can. Here's the secret:

You must work patiently and carefully. Slowly lift one end of the tape and then run that end of the tape BACK along the surface of the tape still stuck down until you get to the other end. This will reduce the chances of spoiling your finish.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

HOLY CARP GAVMIESTER IS ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome back to the forum Gavmiester !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Alkay go for a good quality painters masking tape, usually 3M is a good brand. It is essential to apply it well, straight as you can. Assuming you are painting the body solid paint you just need to mask the binding and cavities. Think you can get a 6mm wide tape is good width to cover the binding. I have never used Gav's method to make it less tacky. I've had no problem peeling the tape after the job is done. Make sure the side of the tape that is next to the boundary of the solid paint (bottom of binding) is really pressed down and there are no creases where paint may seep into.
    Before you apply the tape make sure the surfaces you are applying the tape to are dry and clean of any dust or debris.
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 20-04-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

The blue tape I use for masking fingerboards before spraying Nitro etc is readily available in the paint section of your local hardware/ paint store.
    I have found that this tape is next to useless for protecting the bindings as it is a very low tack and you will get bleed through..

One of our Forum guys, GavT uses a signwriters tape I think...
    Hopefully Gav will jump on and let us know...
    Gav?.... Gaaaaaaaavin?.... Helooooooooo Gaaaaaav?...
    Sure he will be along soon.

I will have a look at your other post a bit later on today, (got a few things that need attending to this morning),but from what I saw last night it looks like Woks has got you on the right path.
    In the How To Build your PBG Guitar section, there is an excellent article by our Gavmiester on setting intonation etc.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Also, the longer you leave the tape on, the harder it is to get off and more chance of it taking paint with it. Some tape actually says on the packaging how long you can leave it on. I tend to 1/2 that :P
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

good point Dedman.
    @ Alkay don't leave the tape on for over a week I'd say. If you won't be putting the next coat on for more than about 3-4 days I'd peel it off and re-apply when you do the next coat.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Some great advice there thanks guys. I'll look into what signwriters use.

I think with my last kit I left the tape on for quite a long time which is why the body splintered. To be safe on the next one I'll take the tape off in between coats.

I will probably go with a solid colour because of different grains on my latest kit if you have a look you will see what I mean. I don't think it looks too nice but your welcome to give me ideas on that forum page after I drill the neck bolt holes.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Looks like the guys beat me to it..
    Had a look at your kit and I must say that is a rather tasty spalt.. Would be a shame to paint it with a solid colour...

Thanks everyone,

I'll keep the unique wood grain.

I posted on my build page so I'm open to suggestions thank you.