Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NON PBG - LP Build Diary from DIY Guitars

NON PBG - LP Build Diary from DIY Guitars

Hello to everyone,

Thank you to Adam Boyle for allowing me to post on this forum.

Note: The following is my build diary from DIY Guitars who are closing down.

This is NOT a Pit Bull Guitars LP shaped kit.

Any build problems I have had are in no way associated with Pit Bull Guitars.

I will move my build diary across to this forum now.

My last post where I have run in to trouble will be on intonation and action and I would greatly appreciate some help.

Cheers,

Alkay.

Hello,

This is a new project for me and I’m more than happy to learn with some helpful tips as I document the whole build process.

Ok so I got my GLP20 – Gibson Les Paul Shape Guitar Kit and am about to start this project.

Step 1: Mock up Your Guitar
    I did see where the pickups and bridge are placed but not to the point of installing tuning keys or the two outer strings.

I’ll skip that unless advised I should do it with this particular model GLP20 – Gibson Les Paul Shape Guitar.

Step 2: Choose a Finish
    I have decided to do a Dyed / Stained Wood Finish.

I would also like a really high glossy shiny finish after applying the sunburst style. Which I need advice on how to do as well please.

Step 3: Sanding
    I would appreciate some input on what grit I should start with? The GLP-20 body has about a 1mm top layer where I want to bring out the darker wood grain and also a white outline covering the circumference of the guitar.

How do I mask this so it isn’t damaged in the sanding and dye process etc?

Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1PackageContents.png 
Views:	272 
Size:	901.7 KB 
ID:	8309

Name:	2MockBuild.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	496.6 KB 
ID:	8310

Thanks for the reply Trent.

I bought red, yellow ColorTone, TruOil and black ink for self inking stamps.

In step three above I mentioned a white outline on the circumference of the guitar face. I think this is called the binding. Anyway, I bought some paper painters masking tape to try and protect this and overflow of staining the side of the body.

Sanding and staining to pop the grain:

-Spakfilla applied to all the dents on the guitar face and back

-Sanding with 240 grit on guitar face

-Stained the guitar face with black ink. (I think I used 10ML and added five drops of black stamp ink.

Name:	3BlackInk.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	477.2 KB 
ID:	8311

Once the ink dried I sanded the guitar face with 240 grit to pop the grain.

As you can see in the photo below I have gone through the veneer, if thats the correct term. (Above where I mentioned a 1mm top layer on the guitar face.)

Name:	3SandingBlackInkPopGrain.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	8312

It wasn’t dark enough so I think I used 5ML water and added five drops of black stamp ink.

Sanded with 240 grit too much as you can see below with the unsightly patterns over the guitar face.

Name:	4MoreBlackOverSanding.png 
Views:	258 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	8313

Continued sanding the face with 240 grit.

Put the masking tape over the nut and sides of the head stock.

Sanded head stock with 240 grit.

Stained head stock with a mixture of 5Ml water and five drops of black ink. After drying I sanded it with 240 grit.

Name:	5SandingStainingHeadstock.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	488.0 KB 
ID:	8314

When attempting the sunburst affect I diluted the Colortone with water with the same ratio as the black ink above not realising there was no need for this. (I am new at this and have no idea, even sandpaper is relatively new to me).

As you can see in the image below it doesn’t look the best.

Name:	6RedYellowStain.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	8315

To try and fix this mistake and forgetting to even try to go from red, orange to yellow I did the following.

-Lightly sanded the darker areas with 240 grit.

-Sanded with 320 grit and then 400 grit.

-Applied more yellow Colortone over the middle section

-Applied more red Colortone around the edges of the guitar face and slowly working my way inwards.

The photo below doesn’t actually show the correct colour. Without the camera its a shade darker red.

How can I make this a darker red? Should I add another layer of red Colortone or mix a drop of black ink with it first?

Name:	7RedYellowStain.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	370.4 KB 
ID:	8316

I’ll try and deepen the colour slightly. Below is a picture of it now with the headstock currently. I’ll post another picture after I’ve deepened the colour.

Name:	8RedStainX2.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	8317

Here are a few more pictures. You can see where the masking tape didn’t stop the stain dye from bleeding through onto the sides. Can anyone recommend some good masking tape perfect for guitar projects?

I made a mistake and applied ink before finishing the sanding. I’ll try and sand evenly working from 320, 400, 800, 1200 grit and apply more black if needed. I might even go for a grey yet.

Name:	9HeadstockStainBleedingOnSideNeck.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	8318

Name:	10BodyStainBleedingOnSide.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	479.5 KB 
ID:	8319

Name:	11BlackBodyStainBack.png