Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Taswegian's Birthday ES-3 First Build

Taswegian's Birthday ES-3 First Build

Ok, so I started a build diary over on the Welcome forum but I guess it should really be here. The story so far in this link:-

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5630
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	10581  
    --- Over what hill? I don't remember any hill! ---

Back again

Have been busy with other things but now getting back to the build. Have some Titebond and some Aussie Oil and some various grades of sandpaper. Also a couple sets of flatwound D'addario Chromes. I have sanded the body down to 320 grit. Don't want to go any further as the top laminate is really quite thin to start with. Have had to glue in some shims in the neck pocket to get a snug fit. Waiting for glue to dry before moving on.

I must have started here after your welcome thread, bloody good to see another Taswegian here!
    I just checked out your other thread, and see you're from Deloraine. Beautiful town. Back in my college years I played the Trombone at the church there. Beautiful acoustics.
    I was hoping Stringfest was on again this year, but it looks like it may have stopped completely.
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

sounds like the right start, enjoy

What did you use to shim up the neck pocket? I might have to do the same thing with mine. It's okay but I wouldn't call it a snug fit.

Peter

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by peterh View Post
    What did you use to shim up the neck pocket? I might have to do the same thing with mine. It's okay but I wouldn't call it a snug fit.

Peter
    I used a bbq skewer and some veneer that i had available but it has all ended up a bit of a disaster. realised after glue dried that neck was no longer aligned with the bridge position. Have tried various things to get the neck off again. heat, steam, vinegar but can't get it to budge. Any advice anyone?

Overlord of Music
    Oh dear. What did you use the bbq skewer for? And what type of glue did you use?
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Hi Taswegian, what sort of glue did you use ?
    Sounds like you have tried all methods I can think of, have you tried to get a metal paint scraper in between the neck pocket and heel and try and slide it in ? Once you get a small gap then the steam should eventually make the glue give way
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hi Taswegian, what sort of glue did you use ?
    Sounds like you have tried all methods I can think of, have you tried to get a metal paint scraper in between the neck pocket and heel and try and slide it in ? Once you get a small gap then the steam should eventually make the glue give way
    I used Titebond Original. A lot of it has come out with my various pryings and steamings but there it is a very large neck pocket with a lot of surface area. I can get a spatula an inch or so in under the heal so I will concentrate on getting so steam in there. At least I won't fill up the body with condensation working from that end. It is difficult to get direct access to the cut-away side. May try to persist with steam from our espresso machine. Dropped my smartphone and broke it so can't take any photos atm. Plan B is to get a floating bridge and set it up all slightly askew!

Hi Taswegian I was going to suggest the bridge may have to move if you can't remove the neck.
    Keep trying as you say it may take some time but steam should eventually loosen the bond of the glue.
    Titebond original is the stuff we recommend you use to set necks, now you can see how good it is !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast