Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ES-3 (My 2nd build)

ES-3 (My 2nd build)

While I'm waiting for the Tru Oil to dry on my Tele build, I figured I might as well have a closer look at the ES-3 (also a Sunday Night Special) I ordered and give it a quick sanding to see if any new issues came up.
    I knew this kit was going to required some work, being a factory second, but Adam listed it for a great price and I knew I'd rather get the hang of building these kits on something that wasn't pristine - if I totally botched it, I wouldn't feel quite so bad.
    So..... on with the show. One of the issues Adam listed was a discoloration on the back and front - he wasn't sure what caused it but was pretty sure it wasn't glue. I'm happy to say that I'm not really finding any glue residue that will need to be dealt with. I don't know what the discoloration was either, but the first round of sanding with 220 grit seems to be taking care of it. Here are some shots of the areas on back and front. In the shots of the back, I have sanded all but the bottom right portion so you can see the improvement. The front hasn't been touched yet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back discoloured area.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	9894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back discoloured area close up.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	9896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front-original.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	442.8 KB 
ID:	9895

That's the good news. The bad news is I've got a bit more patching to do than I hoped. I knew about the one chip in the veneer on the top of the neck cavity but there's considerably more work to do below the neck cavity. As you can see in the pictures below, there seems to have been a few places where the wood was just a bit too short to match up at the critical point. Not sure just yet how I'll deal with those issues yet but the smaller chip on top I might just use some wood filler - it'd be pretty hard to get a tiny piece of veneer in there.

Name:	veneer chip.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	9897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binding issues-lower body neck.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	9898

more in the following post.

Is there any issue with scraping down the edge of the binding? Right now it got quite a sharp 90 degree edge to it. I'd like to just shave a smoother edge with a razor blade or exacto knife so it doesn't scrape your skin like it does now. Here's a photo that hopefully shows what I mean.

Name:	binding sharp edge.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	9899

The last thing I noticed is that the wood in the bottom of the neck cavity appears to have the fibres torn out - it almost looks like punky wood, but it isn't - the fibres are just torn. Will this cause any strength issues when I glue the neck in?

Name:	neck cavity-bottom.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	9900

Still lots of time before I get to working on this one full time, but it's nice to have another kit I can tackle while waiting for the finish on the previous one to dry (not impatient at all ).

Hi Peter, interesting looking kit.

Haven't built one of these yet and therefore unable to assist with some of your questions however in relation to the binding you can take the sharp edge off with 0000 steel wool but would recommend doing such once you have done all coats of colour and clear top coat.

If aiming for a high gloss finish using Maguires Ultimate Compound Color & Clarity Restorer will help do the trick too, just requires a bit more elbow grease.

The discolouration looks like water staining from those shots and good to hear they came out without too much hassle. For the little bits of timber missing timber mate is probably the only way to go and if it looks obvious then maybe a solid black edged burst would help to disguise such.

Thanks Wazkelly,
    Is this the stuff https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-G1721...imate+compound?
    Good idea on doing a black burst on the edges to hide the touch ups. I'm going to check out the local hobby shop this week to see what thicknesses of model plywood they have. Might just cut out the whole section and replace it rather than trying to add bits here and there (on the lower part at least).
    Timbermate is really expensive (I think so at least) at ~$30 for 250g. Does that sound reasonable? Are there other fillers that might be better priced in N. America?

Hi Peter, Amazon link is spot on.

Timbermate prices seem high over there as we can buy 250g for les than AUD $10 as per this link http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/pr...bermate%20250g

Oops, just committed a major crime posting that link and shall now await my sentencing in the Naughty Warehouse. Sorry DB.

Another day of waiting for TO to dry, so after 3 rounds of light sanding, I thought I'd try putting a coat of dark dye on the back with the intention of sanding it back to pop the grain a bit. I'm thinking of an aged shellac sort of colour.... maybe.
    After I got it stained though... I kind of like the colour it's turning out without sanding it back. I got a bit more scientific with this batch of dye - 10cc of water plus 4 drops of Van Dyke Brown and 2 drops of Black analine dye. I put two coats on since the wood seemed rather thirsty. Might do a 3rd coat but I'll wait until these dry to see what the colour ends up like once it's completely dry. Might need to up the number of drops to get it a bit darker.
    I did find one patch of glue on the back near the bottom. I've already sanded it several times and did the wire brush trick which has helped with the surrounding area, but it looks like there may have been a crack in the veneer that they filled with either glue or some non-staining wood filler. Not sure if I should try and dig it out or just leave it. If I go with a lighter shellac colour it won't show up as much but if I leave it this chocolate browny/black colour it will be pretty noticeable. What do you think?

Name:	back van dyke brown and black.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	446.8 KB 
ID:	10095Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back glue mark.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	10096

Banned
    Peter i dug one out of the veneer on the back of my 12 string, i dont know what they used to bog it, but nothing would take, so i left it as a character mark after trying to get it to fill numerous times. It doesnt look as big as your though mine maybe 1/4".

Tony,
    I had a go at sanding back the area around the glue mark to see what affect it would have on the grain. I think I'm staying with solid colour! It looked like total crap. The way the veneer is cut, it leaves a very open grain you can see a bit of it in the head-on shot below on the left. When I sanded it back it still left a dirty browny-black uneven stain on the wood which wouldn't look good with a lighter stain over it (I tried it). The way the veneer is sliced also, seems to leave a lot of open pores that retain all the dark stain (you can see what I mean on the left of the neck cutout in the picture below) even after sanding.
    So I sanded it back down again and restained it with the original colour. I did notice though that on restaining it even with the same colour mix, it did seem to show the grain better - maybe because of all the extra sanding? Anyways, on the plus side, the extra sanding and staining seems to have lessened the glue mark considerably.

Name:	back restained.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	10102

I went out and picked up some 1/16" basswood from the hobby store today also and started replacing the strip of veneer on the left (lower) side of the neck cutout. I only need about 1/32" but with the 1/16" I have lots of room to get the thickness under the neck overhang just right.

Name:	body veneer removed front.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	10100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body veneer removed.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	10101
    Last edited by peterh; 03-04-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Banned
    Personally i wont bother with veneers again from China, they are too thin to work out the flaws properly

Yeah, the thin maple caps are so touchy and riddled with glue spots. Used a wire brush a bit too enthusiastically and now need the top coats to act as grain filler to soak in and cover up the slightly deeper artificial grain that was created.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast