Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soldering Mini-Tutorial

Soldering Mini-Tutorial

After a suggestion by Dedman, I have decided to try and duplicate my Soldering mini-tutorial in this thread, in this forum section so it is easier to find.

Mini Soldering Tutorial

Thought I would include a mini-tutorial on Soldering in my STA-1M build diary for anyone who may be interested in improving their soldering skills, now if any of you are already good at soldering, feel perfectly free to humor me, this is mostly for all the newbies at guitar building, I'm going to show you how I was taught to solder while I was doing a Basic Electronics Course through TAFE at the Charles Darwin University here in Darwin in the mid 90's, I also want to add that I have been pursuing Electronics as a hobby since I was 13 years old, I'm now currently 46 years old....my goodness, time certainly flies doesn't it?

Anyway, when you go to do a soldered electrical-connection, there are at least two phases involved, preparation, and then the actual soldering.

Preparation:

When you go to do the preparation prior to soldering, you want to make sure that the two pieces of metal to be soldered are clean, this helps the hot molten solder to stick to, and flow onto the two surfaces to be soldered together, if the solder doesn't stick, or "take" to the surface of the metals this creates what is called a Dry Solder-Joint, this is bad because a Dry Solder-Joint creates a high-resistance electrical connection which can cause bad earthing problems, or can stop circuits from functioning normally like they're supposed to, or, loss of audio signals.

After the surfaces to be soldered are cleaned, there are a further four phases to the preparation prior to the actual soldering, they are:

1, Cut.......Cutting a piece of plastic-insulated wire to length, remembering that it is easier to shorten a wire than to lengthen it, so maybe cut it a bit longer than it needs to be.

2, Strip......Strip a short length of plastic insulation off the end of the wire, for a piece of wire that's going to be soldered to a solder-lug on a pot you can strip off about 4 to 5mm of the insulation, which should be enough.

3, Twist......Some pieces of wire will contain lots of small strands of copper-wire bundled together inside the plastic insulation, what you want to do prior to soldering is to twist the strands together to form a single neat strand, try and twist the wires all together in the same direction.

4, Tin.....To "Tin" the single bundle of twisted copper-strands means to coat the bundle with Solder, this is done to ensure a good solder-joint that is Electrically strong.

I will be posting some pics shortly to illustrate each of the four phases more clearly.

Okay here are some pics to illustrate the four soldering-preparation phases:

Cut:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cut_resized.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	10229

I used my wire stripping-tool to cut the piece of wire to the required length.

Strip:

Name:	Strip1_resized.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	10230 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strip2_resized.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	10231

I then used my wire-stripping tool to strip about 5mm of plastic insulation off the end of the wire, making sure I didn't completely remove it, then I used the excess insulation to neatly twist the small copper strands together to form one single strand.

Twist:

Name:	Twist_resized.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	10232

You can see in the pic how the twisted copper-strands have twisted together neatly, this is what it should look like with no fraying, it should look like a single strand of copper wire.

Finally we come to the Tin-phase:

Name:	Tin1_resized.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	10233

When you go to tin the wire, first wipe the tip of the soldering-iron on the damp cleaning-sponge, or a damp cotton rag after applying some solder to the tip, this tins the soldering iron tip so it can heat the joint to be soldered more efficiently, when you actually go to tin the wire, use the tip of the soldering iron to heat the copper strands and then apply the solder to both the soldering iron tip and the copper strands, don't apply the solder to the iron tip and use it to transfer the solder to the copper strand because the flux in the solder will have gone up in smoke and won't be able to do it's job.

The job of the flux inside the standard 60/40 Electronic Solder is to boil-off any dirt, grease, and oxidation contaminating the surfaces of the metals to be soldered, if the Flux goes up in smoke before it can do it's job, this could potentially create a dry solder-joint.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 05-04-2016 at 10:13 PM.

This last pic shows what the tinned wire should look like:

Name:	Tin2_resized.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	10234

The tinned wire-end should look like the above pic, nice and shiny-silver.

Note that some of the pics may be a bit blurry, I really need to find out if my Nikon A100 Camera has a Macro function and learn how to use it.

Doc I'm sure lots of the people using the site will appreciate the time and effort you put in here. Well done and for Newbies an important read.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball492 View Post
    Doc I'm sure lots of the people using the site will appreciate the time and effort you put in here. Well done and for Newbies an important read.

Cheers mate, I actually enjoy doing these little tutorials, if they prove useful and helpful to other members then that's a bonus.

I might even see if I can do a mini-tutorial on how to use a Digital Multimeter if anyone is interested in me doing one.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-04-2016 at 07:20 AM.

I moved this thread here because this is where it belongs

Thanks Doc, it is a beaut!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    I moved this thread here because this is where it belongs

Thanks Doc, it is a beaut!

No worries at all mate, and cheers for moving it to a more appropriate forum section, when I started it I was unsure where the thread was supposed to be put.

yea, defiantly up for a multi meter tute. I have a rather big multi-meter but only under stand about 2 of its functions.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

good mini tutorial Doc, maybe next time try and get some of the photos are badly out of focus
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    good mini tutorial Doc, maybe next time try and get some of the photos are badly out of focus

I agree, there were some focusing issues with some of the pics, my camera may have a Macro function on it that might help get more in-focus pics, some of those pics required me to hold the camera in my left-hand and I'm right-handed, which didn't help things much, I kept accidentally pressing the on/off button instead of the button to actually take the pic.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-04-2016 at 09:35 AM.

no drama Doc, yes it's awkward if you are holding something with one hand and taking pics with your non preferred hand, we get the drift
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast