Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soldering Mini-Tutorial

Being a complete newbie at soldering electronics, is there any difference in how you do the soldering if you're using braided sheath wire like this - http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/u...-shield-500mm/?

Quote Originally Posted by peterh View Post
    Being a complete newbie at soldering electronics, is there any difference in how you do the soldering if you're using braided sheath wire like this - http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/u...-shield-500mm/?

There's not a whole lot of difference when it comes to soldering vintage braided wire like that, except for the preparation prior to soldering, I happen to have a short piece of wire like that and I can easily do a few pics to show how to prepare it for soldering, will post the pics shortly so stay tuned.

Here's how I prepared a piece of vintage braid-shielded cloth-wire I used for the output-jack in my Strat build ( I'm using a short leftover piece for this):

I started off by cutting the wire to length:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braided1_resized.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	10250

Next I held the wire between my thumb and index finger about 13mm from the end of the wire , and carefully pushed the braid back till the inner-wire was exposed:

Name:	Braided2_resized.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	10252

After doing that, I used the tip of a multimeter probe to carefully poke a hole in the braid:

Name:	Braided3_resized.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	10253

Next I bent the wire back on itself where the hole in the braid was:

Name:	Braided4_resized.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	10254

After doing that, I used the multimeter probe to enlarge the hole in the braid, and then I pulled the inner wire through the hole in the braid:

Name:	Braided5_resized.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	10255
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.

After doing that I pushed back the inner-wire cloth insulation to expose the inner-wire:

Name:	Braided6_resized.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	10256

And then I put the wire in a holding device called a Third-Hand, and tinned the exposed inner-wire and the braid:

Name:	Braided7_resized.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	10257

Next, I cut two short pieces of heatshrink tubing, I slipped one of the pieces of heatshrink over the wire and the other piece over the braid, then I used the tip of my soldering iron to shrink the tubing on the braid, after I did that, I slid the other piece of heatshrink-tubing into place and used my iron to shrink it, I ended up with a neat looking piece of shielded wire:

Name:	Braided8_resized.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	10258

4. Liked by: peterh

Thanks Doc! very helpful.

Doc, thank you for this post. My son and I are building his EX-5 bass and when it comes to wiring and soldering we're both new and uneducated about it. Having access to your years of experience is invaluable to us, so thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellowsoldier View Post
    Doc, thank you for this post. My son and I are building his EX-5 bass and when it comes to wiring and soldering we're both new and uneducated about it. Having access to your years of experience is invaluable to us, so thank you for that.

No worries at all mate, learning how to solder is a bit like learning how to ride a bike, it takes a bit of practice but eventually you do get good at it.

Banned
    interesting!

Huge thank you for this - I haven’t received my kit yet (awaiting delivery) and I will be referring back to this for sure. As with everything else with this build I am a complete newbie and need to learn everything from scratch

Wow!

This is great Doc! Thanks for posting and sharing this info! I really need it.

Cheers,
    rokit
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." David Bowie

Soldering Mini-Tutorial

It’s been at least 20 years since I last did any serious soldering as I am a desk jockey and back then it was telephone wiring that I did so not really delicate stuff.

This is a SSS pickguard which is going into my first ever rebuild. I wanted to do something that was cost effective and gave me practice before I tackle something more complex.

So Wilkinson pickups, CTS pots and a Switchcraft 5 way.

Thanks for the tute. It reaffirmed my assumptions in soldering technique. It still looks like a duck had a go on the earth points though.

Last edited by A-Zed; 05-07-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2