Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael's First PBG Build - TL-1

Michael's First PBG Build - TL-1

Hey All, my kit is ordered and on it's way. Thought I'd start the thread now, get in the habit of regular updates.

This is my first kit guitar - but I built a partscaster about 7 years ago with various bits and bobs bought on the web. Pretty confident with electronics, with some beginner woodworking skills. This will be the first time doing my own finish (the body I bought with the partscaster was pre-finished).

Ordered a TL-1 kit, with some dingotone uluru red for the finish. I'll post again when the kit arrives. I can't remember exactly, but I think I went with a white pickguard? Although now I think about it a black one might look cooler. Ah anyway, that's a decision for future Michael to make.

Quick question regarding applying the dingotone - how long should you wait after applying the stain coat to one side of the body, before flipping it over and doing the other side?

Cheers,

Theres a realy good vid on youtube on applying dingotone

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Hi Michael,welcome to the forum. Where do you live ? The weather affects how the DT cures. I'm currently building an ash tele with uluru red you will love the colour and I think a black pickguard will look better than white.
    I suggest you get a scrap piece of wood and screw it into the neck pocket and use it as a hanger and if you clamp the hanger to the bench you can work on the entire body when staining it. I drill a hole in the top of the hanger and use pot plant hooks to hang the body when it cures.
    Generally Dingobass recommends 3 days curing between coats but depends where you live
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks Dave and Wokka. I saw the videos on YouTube for dingotone application, super helpful. The scrap wood is a good idea too. Now just waiting for the kit...

Package arrived

Well this afternoon I got that wonderful notification on my phone. You know the one - the notification that a package had arrived at the post office. Decided to roll the dice and see if I could strap the box to the pannier racks on my bike. Success! Very cautious ride home though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160404_174259.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	10197

I've opened the box and had a quick look to see if it's all there - seems ok, but will have a detailed run through before the mock build, which probably won't be till the weekend. I'll run my eye over it in a bit more detail on Saturday.

The downside of packages arriving on a Monday - gotta wait at least 4 more sleeps before getting into it. Going to be frothing at the mouth by Friday.

Name:	IMG_20160404_203023.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	10198

Name:	IMG_20160404_203052.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	10199

kit looks great Michael, can't you start sanding during the week ?
    Love the method you got the kit from the post office !
    What Dingotone kit did you get ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Michael - a couple of us have a secret to how to do both sides of a guitar at once - grab a hunk 'o wood - thick enough to take the weight of a guitar. Slot it into the neck pocket - may need to tailor the wood to do so. Drill a couple o' holes through the wood via the screw holes (spacing is pretty much constant between guitars and basses). The secret sauce is then screws and wingnuts to hold the guitar on. Screw head on the back of the guitar and wingnut on the other side - this way when you're done, it's easy to get it off the stick. I have a painting stick that I rest one end on the ground and then use some quick grips to hold it onto the edge of my benchtop. Others drill a hole in the other end and then suspend from the ceiling / roof / whatever. Comes down to what works for you. Given that the body is not resting on anything - you can work on both sides at once.

When you have a set neck - easy solved - I find a well placed quickgrip with some wire and suspend from the roof / ceiling / whatever. Gives you a handle for the guitar as well.

I've been using a socket extension from a socket set (a long one 400mm) with an appropriate sized socket to fit in the lead socket cavity on the body. I can clamp that in the vice or any where else and be able to apply finishes to both sides.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

Thanks all!

Wokka, I went with uluru red. I think a black pickguard will look better, but we'll cross that bridge when I get there. I guess I can start sanding if I have a spare few hours. But i plan to take my time, no need to rush it. Also, I didn't answer your first question: I live in Sydney.

Thanks Brenden and Dedman for the tips. I've got some wood blanks floating around, I'll have to hit up the big green store for some bolts and wing nuts. Unless my housemate has some. Then just gotta find a suitable place to hang it to dry (I live in a townhouse in a small complex, no protection from rain in the backyard). Eh, they are future Michael's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Given that the body is not resting on anything - you can work on both sides at once.

When you have a set neck - easy solved - I find a well placed quickgrip with some wire and suspend from the roof / ceiling / whatever. Gives you a handle for the guitar as well.
    I'm not sure what you mean about "a well placed quick grip" Brendan. Where can I clamp a quick grip on a guitar body to allow me to finish all sides at once?
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast