Thread: Question from Boston...

Question from Boston...

Ok, so I'm obviously not from Australia. I've read about the naughty prison, or something of that nature, for going to "the green shed"... My question is....WHAT IS THE GREEN SHED, and why is it bad? Lol... couldn't find a better place to ask...

Dave

Hahahahaha!
    The Naughy Warehouse has been a feature of the forum for a long time...

I originally started it off by sending someone to the Naughty Corner for shopping at the Big Green Shed Full of S#it..
    The Aussie version of Lowes..

Why you ask? Simply because they sell crap, claim to be cheaper when they are not and to cap it off the staff know nothing about the products, are unable to give decent advice and the worst part is all of the family owned hardware stores are being squeezed out.
    This is a shame, as with the small businesses you have a wealth of knowledge..
    I can go to my local hardware and say to Mike "I need a doo dad for the whatchamacallit that goes on the wingwam" and he knows exactly what I need, and he can also tell me how to fix it..

So it grew from the Naughty Corner to the Naughty Room then came the Warehouse.....
    And the list of crimes that can get you sent there has also grown, just because I am that kind of guy

Anyhoo, it is all a bit of fun and most of us including myself have served a sentence there.........
    Woks has received the longest sentence, he is serving three life sentences for a multitude of sins too long to list

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Ah.. now I get it! Lowes, Home Depot... all the same. Im a plumber by trade and it's always fun to go to either place and listen to the "advice" that the sales people are giving people...
    Thanks for enlightening me!
    Dave

Here is some Aussie humour for you...
    Chopper Reid was a famous or infamous standover man who had a great sense of humour..

Anyhoo, Heath Franklin, one of our funniest comedians has done a series of comedies as Chopper.
    This is one of his best.

https://youtu.be/4gZb73h5evc

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

5. Liked by: DaveyCustom, wazkelly

Home depot with a different accent. Same explatives, though. Amazing. My wife is from Colombia. They have something called the Home Center. Different colors. Different accent. Same explatives (once you see the subtitles). Clearly there is a market for stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

7. Liked by: DaveyCustom

Yup.. he just described Home Depot AND Lowes!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

i went to tbgsfos yesterday for tap washers and actually got great advice from the old dude in the plumbing section
    the secret is to find the oldest guy in the section you are looking in, he is generally an ex tradie and will often steer you to the right product. i am lucky as my local green shed actually employs a lot of these guys.
    but in general, yes you are correct, and if my local smaller guy is open, i will always go there first...

i'll head to the naughty warehouse now..., wokks get me a drink

10. Liked by: DaveyCustom, dingobass

I know a guy who spent his whole career in the tool business, over 50 years. When he was slowly sliding into retirement he spent a few years working for the Green Shed. He found it quite heartbreaking selling most of the cr@p they had, but he also has an equally low opinion of 80% of the customers who he found usually refused to listen to advice and would buy something that wouldn't do the job rather than pay a little bit more and be able to do the job properly.

Now he goes around council clean-ups, finding all the tools people throw out and refurbishing them.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

I can't go past a skip without taking a look. More often than not, I'll jump in and have a scrounge around.
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Here is some Aussie humour for you...
    Chopper Reid was a famous or infamous standover man who had a great sense of humour..
    https://youtu.be/4gZb73h5evc
    Classic. Shame that 90% of their staff have NFI whilst the other 10% do a fantastic disappearing job thus turning the whole experience into an adults version of hide and seek or a massive treasure hunt, except there is no treasure, just cheap Chinese throw away crap.

14. Liked by: DaveyCustom