Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonderboy

Welcome Dave, you write a good story. At least this guitar will give you fun , friends and turn you into an expert sander...

2. Liked by: DMorrison

Hey Dave, glad to see you found your way here and lovin' the start of your Build Diary. Hopefully the kit turns up in a few days.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

4. Liked by: DMorrison

Welcome Dave, looking forward to see what you do with that Tele!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

6. Liked by: DMorrison

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    Hey Dave, glad to see you found your way here and lovin' the start of your Build Diary. Hopefully the kit turns up in a few days.
    Thanks, Adam - I appreciate your help. I can't wait to get started! Through the odd magic of the internet I feel like I've made a gang of new friends - this is a great site.
    Maybe my next build will be your soon-to-be-released Vox Phantom XII kit (to replace this long-lost one)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2 3.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	9075

Cheers!

According to Australia Post, the kit has made it to New York - Yay!

Name:	titanic.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	9076

Now it just has to make it to the coast of Maine...

Name:	HIGH_EXPECTATIONS_1024x768.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	9077

Haha name of the boat is pretty apt...

10. Liked by: wazkelly

Hi Dave, obviously you have met most of the resident comedians already.

Welcome to the GAS factory and hope you enjoy the journey as much of the rest us do time after time as this kit building stuff is probably more addictive than that strong pain killer you mentioned in your opening post.

12. Liked by: DMorrison

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Haha name of the boat is pretty apt...
    Titanic? Oh, right, the other one.

14. Liked by: wazkelly

Hey Friends,
    Two questions, please:
    I'm using Wudtone Lady Teal - I chose the glossy top coat with no ageing, and no highlights. Here's what the color looks like on the BYOGuitar website:
    Name:  LadyTealMed.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  13.1 KB
    My goal is to get the deepest blue I can. As someone who has never been good at following directions (ask any teachers/employers - I'm more of a 'creative solutions' guy) the instructions leave me with a question: in the kit is a Base Color Coat (the blue), a White Base (you guessed it - white) and a Top Coat (clear-ish). As I understand it you start with the color coat, and then for certain colors (the instructions don't mention the one I have chosen, but others like it, like Azure Sky) move to a base coat that you get by mixing the color with the base. They suggest mixing the color and base to get the desired tint, but my fear is that no matter what the base will lighten the color, and as I said, my goal is to get the deepest blue possible. So question #1 is, how necessary (chemically) is the white base coat? Can I simply do multiple coats with the color coat, and then finish it off with the top coat?
    Question #2 concerns my work space: in order to stay married throughout the project, I will be working in the basement, which is clean and dry, but cool. How crucial is temperature to the stain setting? Do I need to put a heater under the body (which will hang) while each coat sets?
    Thanks for your help.

With Q2 from my experience humidity and rapid temperature changes are the biggest killers of finishes. As long as it's stable it should be fine.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast