Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cork Sniffer's ES-12G

Cork Sniffer's ES-12G

The ES-12G kit arrived in great condition, thanks Aust Post, and thanks to all at Pit Bull.

Three start up questions ...
    1, To check neck pocket machining, with outer strings running from nut to bridge it looks like I'll have to fully insert the two serrated pegs that locate bridge. Is this correct and is it OK to fit and remove these bridge fixing pegs, or are they a one time only fit?
    2, I've used a building strength glue called AV515 with amazing results. Any comments on this product (or recommendations) to glue the neck?
    3, This guitar is for my wife and therefore her call on finish. She wants a simple "satin oil" finish the same as on her Seagull Merlin and my oiled ash Strat. Any recommendations on the product choice?

She wants this guitar to be a work tool, not a case queen so I'm thinking of following Paul C in his Rc-4 build thread and glue the neck before any other work. Any comments on this appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	7580

Hi Corksniffer, good questions. Kit looks great. The bridge bushes will be hard to remove if you drive them all the way in. Just push them in by hand should give you a good indication of the neck/string alignment.
    To glue the neck use Titebond should be available from your local hardware or the big blue shed sell it
    https://www.masters.com.au/product/9...ood-glue-473ml

Up to you if you glue the neck early in the build you need somewhere to hang the whole guitar to cure and will be more awkward to work on. Generally you will get a better finish on the neck/body join.

There are wipe on satin poly products, some forumites have had good results from linseed oil. I haven't used either so can't really comment.
    Good luck with the build !

If you are going to glue the neck soon check the string action will be ok, allowing the bridge will be prouder than when finished
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks Wokka, others please comment particularly on the AV515 glue as I have it at hand and it is a great product.

Another question ...
    My wife (guitar for her) wants the string pairs reversed IE thicker string then thinner within each pair when strumming downward. Given we'll start with the supplied plastic nut I'm thinking of simply opening the string groove on the nut to take the thicker string and having the thinner string in an over size groove. We're both rubbish players therefore not chasing perfection. Comments please.

I've had some success using 8mm clear plastic tubing as bridge bushes in the past for temporarily holding the bridge posts in place. In most cases the posts thread into the tubing fairly easily if the tubing is inserted into the bridge holes first. If it was a bit tight I have made inside of the tube wider, with a bit of sandpaper (not a fun job) to stop the thread on the bridge posts expanding the tube too much, though I suspect threading the post into the tube several times, to cut the thread into the tube, may have been a better option in hindsight.
    Black is my happy colour

5. Liked by: Wisdom

Hi CS, I don't know anything about AV515 glue, for a 12 string with the extra tension on the neck the Titebond is a small outlay or DB can send you enough for a small cost.
    The thin strings in the thicker string nut slot will just buzz and sound terrible.
    Try searching for a reverse 12 string nut or you could buy a blank and cut your own but would need nut files and a bit of experience

Completed builds

Sweet! Another ES kit to watch. I like the grain pattern in on the fret board.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsargeant View Post
    I've had some success using 8mm clear plastic tubing as bridge bushes in the past for temporarily holding the bridge posts in place. In most cases the posts thread into the tubing fairly easily if the tubing is inserted into the bridge holes first. If it was a bit tight I have made inside of the tube wider, with a bit of sandpaper (not a fun job) to stop the thread on the bridge posts expanding the tube too much, though I suspect threading the post into the tube several times, to cut the thread into the tube, may have been a better option in hindsight.
    Great suggestion, thanks, will look at that option.

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hi CS, I don't know anything about AV515 glue, for a 12 string with the extra tension on the neck the Titebond is a small outlay or DB can send you enough for a small cost.
    The thin strings in the thicker string nut slot will just buzz and sound terrible.
    Try searching for a reverse 12 string nut or you could buy a blank and cut your own but would need nut files and a bit of experience
    When building a large spotted gum deck I used AV515 and bolts on a post, 20 min later I noticed I'd set the post 100mm off centre. The only way to re position the post was to break the hardwood either side of the glue, man that stuff holds! No decision made yet, will be watching the thread.
    Thanks for the string buzz comment, I didn't think of that.

Hi CS, your AV515 glue is probably strong enough, I had a quick look on google and it's a marine bonding glue.
    I just try and stick with products that luthiers and experienced builders use, which is Titebond

Completed builds

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
    Sweet! Another ES kit to watch. I like the grain pattern in on the fret board.
    Yeah, I like it too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	7581

12. Liked by: Wisdom

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast