Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potentiometer differences?

Just noticed that the pots supplied with my ES-1GT kit differ from each other...
    and as I'm a little "challenged" when it comes to the electronic side of things, wondered if someone could help out.
    2 pots are marked "A500K", while the other 2 are "B500K".
    Which 2 are used as volume pots and which for tone pots? ...assuming there is a difference.

Thanks

Hi Andy.
    The "a" are the volume
    And the "b" are tone.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

And, they wont measure anywhere near 500 k .....as they can be as much as 20% out and still retain the 500k label!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Thanks db.....beautiful looking dingo by the way, you must be a very proud daddy!!

A's pots are Log pots meaning the level of resistance changes as you turn the shaft by a factor of ten.
    B's are Linear meaning the that the rate of resistance change as you turn the shaft is constant meaning each segmant is the same as the last.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_wiring

Cheers PK
    Kellza
    (PK)
    "Jack of all trades, Master of None"
    "You'll never ever know if you don't have a go"

https://www.facebook.com/PaulWKelly

Avatar Image is a "The headstock of my first scratchy"

I know this is an old thread, but it relates to some searching I did while looking at electronics upgrades. I noticed the PBG description of the mini Bourns audio pots says the A's are used for both volume and tone (PBG doesn't sell B's from what I can see). Is there a noticeable different between log (A) and linear (B) pots for tone?

Banned
    There is no difference in tone of pots A and B , only in the taper. at 10 both will be 100%, at 0 they will both be 0%. at 5 the linear will be at 50% and the audio will be less, audio rolls off faster.

Peter - I think that most people will struggle to hear the difference. As Tony has said, at 0 / 100% both are the same. A taper however, is apparently more aligned with how we hear things - at 50% we hear it as 50% when it's technically not. Many builders just use A tapers, hence only stocking the log types.

Thanks for clearing that up, guys! Got Adam to add some new A pots to my order.

Great idea - cheapest form of upgrade that there is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast