Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: FrankeWashie's EXA 1 customised kit

Quote Originally Posted by Kick View Post
    Sorry to read that it didn't work out as you hoped it would be. Perhaps it is the best to put it away for awhile and take another chance later.
    I'd really hoped it would turn out to be a great axe since I'm thinking of doing the same build.
    Thanks Kick, I’m going to fiddle with the set up and enjoy playing it for a while, and see how the finish wears. Then I may try and strip back and refinish the top coat with Poly or something.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

So I have been fiddling with this, I've done some work on set up, oiled the FB and adjusted fits and stuff.

There's a number of things that need attention:

- string choke on 1st at around 7th fret, need to de string and recheck fret levelling.
    - need to craft a graphtec nut for it, the plastic one, functions but it sucks.
    - will need to pare down the neck tenon under Neck PUP to improve adjustment
    - snapped the head off the front TRC screw, not sure what can be done about that

It's strung up with some 10-52's now and holds tune much better, it's pulling the neck back into line but some set up tweak still required.

After attacking my Sh!te finishing job with some guitar polish it looks slightly less pants but it's still not to the standard I'd tried to achieve.
    On a positive note, the EMGs crunch and growl nicely, it sits comfortably to play and the action is good but needs work. I guess this is what first builds are for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

3. Liked by: Grubsta

Looks good Franky its a shame about the finish but hey its a build you will never forget.

5. Liked by: FrankenWashie

Yes. Looks pretty good to me.

You're just going to have to mask off around the broken truss rod screw, then dig in around it until you can get some needle-nosed pliers in there to turn it and remove it. It's going to be a bit messy but you can repair it. Hopefully all the mess will be hidden under the TRC. If not, you can always make a slightly bigger TRC to cover it up.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    How have I missed this one? Looks mean!

I can't quite get behind the headstock shape on these kits. I'm bang up for something wacky, but it needs to suit the guitar, I reckon this one needs more angles and corners.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21