Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: FrankeWashie's EXA 1 customised kit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I've seen a few little YT vids on it, and i remember one of my mates from high school went and pulled apart a Samick pickup and rewound it. Seems like painstaking work. I imagine a PUP with all the Poo would sound a tad 'muddy'
    Ha ha its been a passion of mine since the early 70's, Bill Lawrence was my hero/ mentor, geez i have copped some flack because of my ideas, but i still stick to them... Fact Not Fiction there is no magic formula just good winding and best quality parts.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    Ha ha its been a passion of mine since the early 70's, Bill Lawrence was my hero/ mentor, geez i have copped some flack because of my ideas, but i still stick to them... Fact Not Fiction there is no magic formula just good winding and best quality parts.
    It amazes me exactly how often that is the case with things. No mysteries no shortcuts, just some careful hard work with quality gear.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    It amazes me exactly how often that is the case with things. No mysteries no shortcuts, just some careful hard work with quality gear.
    The industry is full of voodoo and mojo dust, its all about getting the sale.. i dont apply to that theory, i just like the truth and the facts.

Question for the wise elders of the Forum, sanding and finish prep for Ash bodies.

recommendations? war stories? waking nightmares? Epic saga in the Norse tradition?

...aaaand go!

Banned
    What finish are you going to use? i have a pretty extensive how to, for when i used tru oil.

I am just starting Swamp Ash build story on my FB blog that will be very extensive, but can cut and paste it for you, ash is alot of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    What finish are you going to use? i have a pretty extensive how to, for when i used tru oil.

I am just starting Swamp Ash build story on my FB blog that will be very extensive, but can cut and paste it for you, ash is alot of hard work.
    I was planning a solid paint colour, mainly due to the reworking of the neck. There is going to be a small area of the neck pocket plug visible at each side of the neck join and no matter how shapely I get the joint transition it will be visible and it will sh*t me up the wall every time I look at it.

Banned
    Just grain fill with timbermate and sand, probably x2 will do, unless more is needed obviously

Well done franken, im enjoying a lot seeing your progress...keep it up!!!
    sometimes you eat the bear....and sometimes the bear eats you

well...we're committed now!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	8123

I'm confident that the routing template was spot on for the neck tenon, but funny things happen when you're confident...

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	8124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	8125

So we are not too far off. there is a bit of adjusting and fitting to be done.

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	8126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	8127
    Last edited by FrankenWashie; 30-01-2016 at 01:35 PM.

I got the fit to a point that I felt was acceptable, then this happened,

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	8128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	8129

The end of the tenon proved too high, so when I dry fit the NPUP with it's ring, the EMG's plug points for wiring foul on the pickup unless you wind it up to the point of silliness. Thankfully the NPUP ring will sit flush against the end of the neck so at least I don't have to try and create a rebate for it.

despite the 3 hours worth of test fitting and resounding and squaring off, and general p*ssing about and agonising, i was pleased to find that the marked centrelines on the neck and body actually lined up! Soo rather than wait and agonise some more I decided that pushing on was needed.

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	8130

So in about 48 hours, we'll see if I'm a semi luthier, or if I'm a klutz. Cross your fingers guys!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast