Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Wazkelly Build diary for DIY closing down sale Ash J Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    that colour is lick-able! Nice work mate!
    Like a toffee apple isn't it.

Well today was spent wiring up this build and then trying to figure out why after adding the fidelity upgrade that when one volume control is fully wound down that all PUP's are 'Off'? It happens on both volume controls and strangely there does not seem to be much difference in the tone when backing off what you think is the neck or bridge PUP? It seems like they are both on all the way until one of the volumes gets down to about '1' then both off at '0'?

The funny thing is that I first did a test wiring with the stock Chinese parts and it worked properly with the PUP's controlled separately like they should be.

Same thing happening on my EX-5 and was just about ready to drop in a 3 way switch but held off until wiring up this baby. Also have to agree with another forum member that the stock Humbuckers for the 5 stringer seem low in output. Had the same settings and played 4 different Basses at the same volume and the EX-5 with Humbuckers was the quietest whilst the recent acquisition Ric 4003 was the loudest and also happened to sound the sweetest too. Others were this J Bass and a cheap eBay Chinese P Bass which was second loudest.

Anybody out there got some clues as to what may be happening or what I have done wrong? I have attached copy of the wiring diagram with a couple of the fidelity upgrade thingy's dropped in place where they were wired into the circuit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	11229

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction as I am just about to cut the fidelity thingys out of the circuit as I suspect they are the culprit.

Yep, the treble bleeds/fidelity widgets are shorting your hot to ground when you turn down either volume. On an LP style it doesn't matter as the middle lug (out) is shorted to ground when turned down. On a normal bass with 'independent' volumes the pickup on the middle lug gets shorted, but with the treble bleed attached the out is still linked to the middle lug... so when you turn down the volume it becomes the path of least resistance and your signal goes to ground. Remove them if you don't have a pickup switch.
    Scott.

Overlord of Music
    Waz, that is looking top notch. My Fender is almost the exact same colour.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Yep, the treble bleeds/fidelity widgets are shorting your hot to ground when you turn down either volume. On an LP style it doesn't matter as the middle lug (out) is shorted to ground when turned down. On a normal bass with 'independent' volumes the pickup on the middle lug gets shorted, but with the treble bleed attached the out is still linked to the middle lug... so when you turn down the volume it becomes the path of least resistance and your signal goes to ground. Remove them if you don't have a pickup switch.
    Thanks Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by pablopepper View Post
    Waz, that is looking top notch. My Fender is almost the exact same colour.
    Thanks Pabs.

No pictures today as I was playing around trying to figure out the slight buzzing.

Removed an earth wire joining volume pots and that did the trick however once screwed down tight on the body a small bit crept back in so had to place some small rubber washers under the chrome control plate to cancel out all the noise.

Happy the wiring is now all behind me so that I can now concentrate on the intonation and action setup. Almost ready to call this one finally done.

Finally happy with everything on this build and can now call it done.

As it is almost Maroon in colour here is my tribute to last night's State of Origin series win by Queensland.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	12159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	12160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	12161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	12162

Looks very nice! As usual QLD won haha.

Nice, simple and clean. Love your work Waz.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast