Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wazkelly build diary for DIY closing down sale Flame top Tele

Waz, I saw a doco on Japanese temple builders, they plane the timber so smooth that its actually water proof. So I'd say you are spot on with your theory.
    Build 19 PSH-1 Kustom
    Build 18 HB-4S Kustom
    Build 17 WL-1 Kustom
    Build 16 TL-1TB Kustom
    Build 15 PBG-2-
    Build 14 FTD-1
    Build 13 RD-1 Kustom
    Build 12 DM-1S
    Build 11 MKA-2 -
    Build 10 Basic strat
    Build 9 JM Kustom
    Build 8 FV-1G
    Build 7 ES-2V
    Build 6- Community prototype
    Build 5 LP-1LQ
    Build 4 ES-5V
    Build 3 JR-1
    Build 2 GD-1
    Build 1 TLA-1

The blue looks great! My favourite colour.

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    thats a good tip Waz trying to get the neck stain to match the body. You can always sand the neck super smooth once the clear coats have been built up.
    Spot on Woks as that is exactly what I did with both the neck and flame top as I was paranoid about sanding through the paper thin cap and the necks arrive quite smooth straight out of the box.

Once half a dozen or more clear coats were done was when I started the ultra fine wet sanding and highly recommend such to help achieve depth of colour on the neck.

Also, for the flame popping I used cyan inkjet printer ink mixed 50:50 with water, left 24 hours to dry and then used a damp rag to wipe off as much of the ink as possible before applying the second coat. Surprised at how dark that stuff is out of the bottle and had to dilute it to get the lighter colour and by using this method saved heaps of time by not having to dry sand the body anywhere near as much.

I see plenty of guys doing the black ink pad trick and then dry sand to pop the grain and this hint could save them plenty of time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    Nice Tele Waz and love the colour

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Andrew.

My first Tele and completely understand why everyone has a love affair with them. Compared to the Basses it looks so small and petite and nowhere near as heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
    Waz, I saw a doco on Japanese temple builders, they plane the timber so smooth that its actually water proof. So I'd say you are spot on with your theory.
    Sounds right as when using a timber with very tight grain it doesn't take much effort to bring it up like glass. 30 odd years ago when doing the repair on my original Ibanez Explorer I went nuts with the super fine wet and dry. It had a maple neck, Korina body and it was impossible to match the timber so had to paint in a solid colour to cover the repair. Chose Black Gloss which meant a super smooth and shiny surface was required and I reckon it could have repelled water it was that smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by SIMpleONe89 View Post
    The blue looks great! My favourite colour.
    Cheers Simpleone89.

It is funny how you envisage things in your mind yet they come out slightly different. Normally maple and basswood look similar in colour yet when I finally post some better photos you will see darker parts on the hard outer edges, particularly near rear strap button and then a marbling marine greeny blue shade on the back. Gives it a unique character and quite pleased with the unexpected outcome.

Finally got this thing wired up with the 4 way switch mod only to discover I had the switch upside down as the bridge PUP was not operating on it's own. DOH!!!

Unhooked all the solder joints and did it again and thankfully got all the 4 sounds I was after being Bridge, Bridge & Neck in Parallel, Neck, the Bridge & Neck in series and as they say the last position does in fact sound like a neck position Humbucker.

Only bummer was a bit of buzzing therefore the Shielding Paint did not work as well on this build and had to go to the big green shed to buy myself some of this stuff. As I had run out of daylight/energy/inspiration......I think you get the point, the snail tape will be done on my next day off work and just hope it does the trick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snail tape 1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	11304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snail tape 2.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	11305

I never knew such things exist!

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Yep I use the same tape it works a treat

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

It keeps the slugs off your guitar too...
    first build PRS-1TS in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4937

second build PRS-1Q in progress...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=4956

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast