Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Volume Issues

  1. #1
    Member Ralphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bayswater WA
    Posts
    16

    Volume Issues

    I've just finished putting together my first TLA-1 kit and have run into a problem with the volume control. The control seems to work OK at full volume, but there is no discernable difference in volume as the knob is turned towards zero. Only in the last tiny bit before fully off (maybe the last 1/16th of a turn) does the volume drop from full to zero.

    I am also having an issue with pick-ups which may or may not be related. When I pick a string the pick-ups work OK until the string vibration starts to slow down, and then the pick-ups cut out completely. It's more noticable on the thin strings (G/B/e) and is definitely worse on the bridge pick-up, but seems to affect all the strings and pick-ups to some degree.

    Any ideas? It's no doubt something I've messed up in the wiring process, I've checked my wiring against the videos again and can't spot where I've gone wrong.
    - TLA-1: Just getting started...

  2. #2
    Overlord of Music WeirdBits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,565
    The lack of volume change could be an issue with (or lack of) the ground lug on the volume control, but it's tough to diagnose without seeing it. If you can, post some images of your wiring so we can see what's connected where.

    Some kits, like the TL's etc, have some pre-wired parts so the diagrams usually just show the bits you need to connect. But, pots and switches and connections can vary between batches of kits, so it's easy for things to go awry. That's why pics always help if there's a problem.
    Scott.

  3. #3
    GAStronomist wokkaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    13,563
    Hi Ralphile. Have you connected an earth wire from under the bridge to Back of volume or tone pot?
    Have you put copper shielding in the cavities? Maybe a connection is shorting on this. Also double check the output Jack hot and earth wires are connected to the correct lugs.
    As Weirdy said please post some photos. The smallest mistake can cause wiring to not function correctly
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

    Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

  4. #4
    Member Ralphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bayswater WA
    Posts
    16
    Thanks guys, I'll open it up tonight and post some pics.
    From the comments above I suspect it may be shorting on the copper shielding. I had the same issue with the jack when I first installed it and was getting no sound at all out of it.
    - TLA-1: Just getting started...

  5. #5
    GAStronomist wokkaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    13,563
    Hi Ralphile,
    it's a common problem with rotary switches with the lugs on the bottom touching the copper shielding.

    If you can bend the ears of the lugs to create a gap at the bottom of the cavity.

    Some builds I've even had to rip out a bit of the shielding near where the switch is with a flathead screwdriver.

    Let us know how you go, hopefully you can sort out the wiring
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

    Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

  6. #6
    Member Ralphile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bayswater WA
    Posts
    16
    I got some time to check over the wiring again on the weekend and managed to fix the problem with the volume pot. Turns out it was a dodgy soldering job on my part that was causiong the issues - just a quick fix in the end and everything seems to be fine.

    Thanks for all your input guys.
    - TLA-1: Just getting started...

  7. #7
    GAStronomist wokkaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    13,563
    well done Ralphile, Only takes one bad solder join to affect the output
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

    Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •