hey peterh,

good to hear you got your kit! post some photos on here as you go. would like to see what you do for finishing and all that.

the white block is a fret end dressing file. one does 90 degrees so the frets don't extend past the neck and the other is angled to put a bevel on the frets. ebay is the place to go for most tools as you will find them for way cheaper. the other place that i got stuff was a place called neck check guitars. excellent products for a really great price. they sell all sorts of stuff. i do my best to stay away from stew mac. more expensive than is necessary. ebay is the place to go….

the bottom of the neck block is rough. and that ok. whatever you do don't sand the neck block and don't sand the neck porting that will fit into the guitar. you will see that there is a number put on each piece and they should match. your neck has been routed and sanded to fit your body. don't mess with it unless you really have to and even then i would take it to a pro. you can really mess up the neck angle and alignment if your not careful.

shouldn't be a concern for strength. use titebond original glue it is stronger than wood and will fill the voids are required. don't use titebond type 2 or type 3….. for reasons explained earlier. and i do not agree with people who say just use any regular wood glue. i would only use titebond original.

good luck with your kit and let me know if you have any questions….

fyi when finishing other than the top coats i would recommend taping your binding…...