Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Converting standard nut into a Floyd Rose shelf

Question Converting standard nut into a Floyd Rose shelf

Hey guys, so already I've read so much helpful stuff here on this that and everything in-between, and I was looking for some advice. I've got a guitar that I'm bits'n'piecing and I've nicked the neck off an LTD EC-50. However the body has a route (just for strat styled trem at the moment) that I want to adjust into a Floyd Rose fitting, and as such, need to do something about the nut, to put Locking Nuts there. Has anyone got any suggestions, advice, or tips about this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450077064656.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	7022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450077078882.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	7023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450077098040.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	7024  

Might need a new neck or just graft on some scrap wood and file away the upper part of the board?

Also while you can see it, can someone recommend a high gain bridge pickup for a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by keloooe View Post
    Might need a new neck or just graft on some scrap wood and file away the upper part of the board?
    Yeah, I've seen something similar done to a Charvette I own. What do you mean "part of the board"?

Zac you better find out the dimensions of the floyd rose bridge and I'd tape off the dimension on the body to see if it will work. You will need the 2 pivot screws and there is quite a large route for the FR body.
    Should be able to get a lock nut conversion set I'd say but that will need a fair bit of work too

The Tonerider and Entwistle pickups on the Pitbull site are pretty good value check them out
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Zac you better find out the dimensions of the floyd rose bridge and I'd tape off the dimension on the body to see if it will work. You will need the 2 pivot screws and there is quite a large route for the FR body.
    Should be able to get a lock nut conversion set I'd say but that will need a fair bit of work too

The Tonerider and Entwistle pickups on the Pitbull site are pretty good value check them out
    Cheers, I'll do that whenever I get the chance. I believe (though not a very accurate method) I placed a spare Floyd Rose I used to have in the route to see if it roughly might fit, and it sat in the correct placement (posts excluded) and the string blocks lined up pretty well with the pole pieces of the pickups. I will tape it all though just to re-affirm this. I've got not issue with the recessing, as I have done it before for a friend, and am fairly confident in doing that.

As for pickups, are there any specific models you would suggest? The standout choice seems to be the X-3 at the moment.

Thankyou too, appreciated.

This is the Charvette with the seemingly converted nut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450078697636.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	7025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1450078672614.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	7026  

The FR needs a recess the length of the tremelo to where the fine adjustment screws are.
    I've put some Entwistle Dark stars in an Explorer build they sound good, sure the X3's should have plenty of punch
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thankyou, already this forum is pretty much the best thing ever

I'm looking at getting a Floyd Rose Trem installed on my Korean made PRS SE Custom 24 guitar too, I've got all the new hardware I need but I'm still in the process of organizing someone to do the installation for me as I don't have the tools I need to do the job right without ruining the guitar, on my PRS SE Custom 24 guitar, the nut shelf needs about 1mm shaved off the neck just behind the end of the fretboard where the nut goes, the body of the guitar needs to be routed so that the new bridge can sit at the correct height, the guy I'm going to get to do the installation of the new trem system said he was going to be a bit busy this week but he would see if he could pop by my place to have a look at the guitar on Wednesday this week, whatever you do, the best option is to get an experienced person to do the installation for you because the performance of the Floyd Rose system depends on it being accurately positioned for it to function and stay in tune well, sure it might cost you a bit but in the long run it's worth it.

Feel free to check out my PRS SE Custom 24 thread in the non Pitbull Guitars gear section.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 14-12-2015 at 03:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast