Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Valve Guitar Amp Head

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    nice work Doc. hopefully you will get it going how you want. Another vote for Lozza, he knows his stuff...

those valve OD pedals sound awesome, does he have a site or direct contact?

If you register yourself as a member of Freestompboxes.org (membership is free) you can PM the guy directly (exactly how I got in contact with him) and he will let you know the best way to order the PCBs from him, his username is bajaman, he's a really nice bloke to deal with.

He runs an electronics repair service in Christchurch in New Zealand, called Baja Electronics.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 14-05-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    If you register yourself as a member of Freestompboxes.org (membership is free) you can PM the guy directly (exactly how I got in contact with him) and he will let you know the best way to order the PCBs from him, his username is bajaman, he's a really nice bloke to deal with.

He runs an electronics repair service in Christchurch called Baja Electronics.
    great thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    great thanks

No worries, if you end up building one and you have trouble getting it to work, let me know.

Mentor
    Ooooh. Valves! This will be a cool build. Especially if your going to go down the Soldano line. What sort of power/wattage are you thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by lawry View Post
    Ooooh. Valves! This will be a cool build. Especially if your going to go down the Soldano line. What sort of power/wattage are you thinking of?

Well, since the existing Output Transformer is only rated for 50 Watts and is for a pair of EL34 valves, I'm going to make the amp as a 50 Watter, one thing I do need to do is buy a proper Power Transformer for it because I made the existing one from a Power Transformer I salvaged from an old Reel To Reel Tape recorder, I removed all the Iron Core laminations, all the original windings, did some maths and then re-wound the primary and secondary windings according to the figures I came up with, it does work but generating the -V Bias supply is a bit of a headache, so I'd rather replace it with a proper Transformer.

Another thing I need to do is re-do all the front panel labeling as the all alignment is a bit sloppy, once that's done I'll clear coat the front panel.

I'm also going to be using Turret Boards to mount all the components on, so I need to find an online Australian supplier of Turrets, Turret Staking tools, and Turret Board Material.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 24-11-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Maybe try Evatco.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Maybe try Evatco.

Cheers, will do.

Just had a look at the Evatco website, looks like just what I was after, I'll see if I'm able to order stuff from them online, cheers mate.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 24-11-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Here's a dropbox link if you want to have a look at the SLO100 Schematic I'm going to be using to wire up my Valve Amp Head:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...AL-SCHEM18.pdf

Update:

I've managed to make some progress on my Valve Amp Head, I looked through all the Transformers that Evatco have in stock and it looks like they can supply me with the right Power Transformer, they can also supply me with the Choke too, not only that, they can supply everything else I need too, I just had a quick look on the Internet for a suitable Turret Board layout and managed to find a set of three that should do the job, I'm going to leave buying all the bits I need till next year and will start working on the amp once I have everything, I'm also thinking of building a 2 X 12 Speaker box to go with the amp.

The bits I don't need to buy are valve sockets for the preamp and power valves, shields for the preamp valves, and retaining springs for the power valves, and the output transformer.

I might buy a brand new set of 12AX7 preamp valves, and a new set of 2 matched EL34 power valves for the amp next year.

Stay tuned......
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 28-11-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Hey Doc, this is very cool and something that I might have a go at in the near future I think....just don't let the Minister for War and Economics know. She's likely to photoshop a beard on me whilst I'm soldering away and report me to the AFP and have me taken away 'to assist with their inquiries'.
    Name:  security_ad_narrowweb__200x292.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  17.1 KB
    Just completed turning a ST1-JR into a short scale bass with Miss 8 as co-pilot

Build diary http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5798

DIY Guitar Rack for GAS http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...003#post107003

Tony

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast