Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DB builds a replica '59 Burst LP

nice neck blank DB, is the flame maple and walnut from our mate Derek ?
    I see the neck blank is nice and deep for the deep heel and plenty of room for fall on the headstock, or will you glue the headstock on an angle ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Maple from our mate Derek, Walnut from my personal supa secret stash

The neck/ headstock will be one piece except for "ears" glued on to give the headstock the width needed.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

nice one DB, can't beat the one piece neck/headstock join. Sounds like a cunning plan. You got that gopro mounted on Clarry's scone yet ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Not yet, but was thinking of mounting it on the Dingoes walking harness....
    that would make for a funny vid when he goes mental playing chase with the Staffy and Zeddybitz.....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    that would make for a funny vid when he goes mental playing chase with the Staffy and Zeddybitz.....

Clarry seems like he's a bit of a character, how did you acquire him?, how old is he now?

I might actually get a Mobius ActionCam (basically a smaller profile action camera than the GoPro) and I want to throw it on the dog when nobody is home and see what she gets up to....

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Clarry seems like he's a bit of a character, how did you acquire him?, how old is he now?
    I got Clarry from Robin the crazy bird lady that used to live down the road.
    Used to buy birds from her and everytime we visited Clarry would go mental until I got him out of his cage...
    In the end Robin said I should have him as he would sulk for days and attack everyone on sight after we visited, funny how animals choose who they want to be with....

Clarry is one and a half now... Scary thing is he could be around for the next 40-50 years.........

I got Clarry from Robin the crazy bird lady that used to live down the road.
    Used to buy birds from her and everytime we visited Clarry would go mental until I got him out of his cage...
    In the end Robin said I should have him as he would sulk for days and attack everyone on sight after we visited, funny how animals choose who they want to be with....

Clarry is one and a half now... Scary thing is he could be around for the next 40-50 years.........

My dad acquired a sulphur-crested cockatoo from some mates of his, he named the bird Charley, anyway, one day my dad bought the bird a nice little mirror with a little bell on it for his cage, the bird proceeded to destroy the little mirror, my dad also acquired a Bush Turkey from another mate of his, the Bush Turkey was named Greggan, he would "go to the toilet" all over the place and boy did it stink, my dad also bought some chooks, one was a white coloured Rooster, my dad liked to sit down at the back of the workshop and have a bit of a drink and he actually got the Rooster drunk at one stage, so he reckons, we also used to get a few Tata Lizards too and they would go for swims in the chooks water trough and then sun themselves on some concrete slabs leaning against a Boab tree, we also use to get a few finches and my dad would put some birdseed out for them, this was before I moved up to Darwin from Kununurra in 2000 after my dad retired from work due to nerve trouble in his left arm, I had been working in his workshop as an apprentice Fitter and Machinist up until then.

funny how animals choose who they want to be with....
    Yeah, when we got our dog, mum put her hand in the box where 4 little puppies were, all of them backed off but the one we got slowly walked up and sniffed her hand... 6 years later she is still around us!

Update time!

Today's fun is making an angled plenum for the router....
    The reason for this is the pup cavities and neck pocket are offset on a 4.5 degree angle to match the break angle of the neck.
    first pic is a full scale cross section of the body showing the pup cavities as well as the top carve.

So, how do we make the plenum?
    First up, grab a chunk of tree that is quarter sawn.
    This timber is machined down to 27mm. This matches the height of the break angle where it meets the bottom edge of the Guitar. ( you can see this on the plan as the area drawn in red)
    Then we mark the 4.5 degree angle and it's off to the Bandosaurus.
    Set the table to suit and cut.

now we have two chunks of timber one of which is the start of our plenum.
    Next we have to machine the sawn face so it is flat and down to size.

EDIT: For some reason it has uploaded the pics out of order, but I am sure you can work it out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3507.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	6753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	6752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3508.JPG 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	6754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3510.JPG 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	6755  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast