Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tele - single coil bridge - humbucker neck wiring

Tele - single coil bridge - humbucker neck wiring

A forum member asked me for some wiring options for a Tele build with a single coil bridge pickup and a 4-wire humbucker in the neck. The split-able humbucker adds quite a few wiring options, so I thought I'd draw up a few diagrams and post them for anyone who is interested.

First, a note. Mixing pickups types, particularly from different guitars and/or manufacturers etc, can require a bit of extra work. When combining the pickups you may have issues of phase and, if you're linking a single coil to a split humbucker, potentially hum-cancelling problems - or lack thereof. Essentially, you need to work out if the two pickups are in phase and, when split, which coil will give you a hum-cancelling pair. If you're lucky, you can just look up your pickups and see how they need to be wired. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to test the pickups (this video may help), but connecting the pickups/coils with clip leads in various combos and into a headphone amp will soon tell you if you're humming under fluoro lights.

For consistency, I've use Seymour Duncan colours for the humbucker wiring in the following wiring diagrams. This means that the coil pairs are black & white and red & green. Depending on how you wire your coil splits, one coil or the other will be active when split. If the active coil is the one you need for hum-cancelling, great. If it's not then you either have to change your split wiring, or change your coil ordering so you get the coil you want. Same goes for phase issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Humbucker_coil_order_phase_reverse.png 
Views:	11742 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	6297

So, if you need the red & green coil for hum-cancelling but the split wiring gives you black & white, then you need to swap the coil order as above. Note that reversing the phase automatically changes your coil order, so if your have the correct coil but it's out of phase then you'll need to reverse the phase and swap the coil order. If you check the diagram above, the first and last example have the same coil order but with the phase reversed. I'll make a note with each of my diagrams which coil is active for any splits. The key is to work out the colour pairs for your pickups and then translate them to the colours I've used.

In all the diagrams I use '+' to indicate parallel link between pickups and 'X' to indicate a series link. If the diagram has both parallel and series I'll normally state which is which in square brackets. Also, '(hum)' indicates the neck pickup is in humbucker mode, while '(split)' indicates only a single coil is active.

3-way Lever switch diagrams

Standard Tele layout, no splits:

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_3way_option1_v1.png 
Views:	10476 
Size:	261.3 KB 
ID:	6298

Bridge with split neck in middle position (red & green coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_3way_option2_v1.png 
Views:	4152 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	6299
    Scott.

4-way Lever switch diagrams

Bridge with split neck in position 2 (red & green coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_4way_option1_v1.png 
Views:	2660 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	6300

Bridge with split neck in position 2, and split neck in position 3 (red & green coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_4way_option2_v1.png 
Views:	4574 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	6301

Standard Tele 4-way layout with parallel and series combinations, no splits:

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_4way_option3_v1.png 
Views:	61692 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	6302

While it's possible to do a lot of switching and splitting options just using 3, 4 and 5 way lever switches, I think the most flexible and usable layout is the above standard Tele 4-way layout in combination with an On/On/On mini-toggle. The 4-way lever switch allows you to combine the pickups in either parallel or series, and a mini-toggle will allow you to set the neck humbucker as either series, single coil, or parallel. For maximum flexibility with the easiest wiring, you just wire the toggle switch like below and then connect the + and - to the 4-way as shown in the diagram above.

Name:	Series_single_parallel_switching_toggle.png 
Views:	13314 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	6303

Adding a mini-toggle to the standard 3-way wiring has the same effect, albeit without the series between pickups option.

Push/Pulls can also be used for series/parallel switching instead of a toggle switch, or even for phase switching if you want a scooped nasally sound when your pickups are combined. A push/pull is also an easy way to add coil splitting, as you can directly control which coil is active (let me know if you need a diagram for that).

Name:	Series_parallel_phase_switching_pushpull.png 
Views:	669 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	6304
    Scott.

5-way switches give you even more flexibility, but each position needs a separate lug for the wiring to work. So, you can't use a standard CRL style 5-way where positions 2 and 4 bridge two lugs. Instead, you need to use larger separate lug switches like the Grigsby 5-way 2 pole and 5-way 4 pole.

5-way 2-pole Grigsby Lever switch diagrams

The 5-way 2-pole is a fairly large switch, so the stock PBG Tele cavity may need to be deepened slightly.
    Name:  Switch_lever_5way_2pole_Grigsby_image.jpg
Views: 9718
Size:  22.8 KB

Bridge with split neck in position 2, and split neck in position 4 (red & green coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_5way_2pole_option1_v1.png 
Views:	3015 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	6306

Bridge in series with split neck in position 3 (black & white coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_5way_2pole_option2_v1.png 
Views:	1297 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	6307
    Scott.

The 5-way 4-pole is a much larger switch with the addition of a second wafer. It will squeeze into the opening of a PBG TL cavity, but the cavity will need to be deepened and, in my experience, a bit taken out of the side wall (like an undercut) to ensure clearance when the switch is in position.

Name:  Switch_lever_5way_4pole_Grigsby_image2.jpg
Views: 9828
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:	Switch_lever_5way_4pole_Grigsby_back_sm.png 
Views:	475 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	6309

With so many lugs it's difficult to show how to wire the switch with an actual image, you can't see all the lugs from any one angle. So, I've modified a side view with the inner wafer sticking out so that all the lugs are visible and you can see, mostly, where the connections need to go.

The extra poles on the switch means that you can also do things like having different tone capacitors for different postions/pickups. So, in all of the following examples, one of the switch's poles is used to select between two different capacitors, cap 1 for single coils/split, cap 2 for humbucker combo's.

Bridge with split neck in position 2, and split neck in position 4 (red & green coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_5way_4pole_option1_v1.png 
Views:	2791 
Size:	388.4 KB 
ID:	6310

Bridge parallel with split neck in position 2, and bridge in series with split neck in position 3 (black & white coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_5way_4pole_option2_v1.png 
Views:	10439 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	6311

Bridge parallel with split neck in position 2 (black & white coil active when split):

Name:	Tele_hum_neck_5way_4pole_option3_v1.png 
Views:	11053 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	6312

As I've only used 3 poles on this switch, one of which is for the caps, it's possible to replicate these options on the 5-way 2-pole just minus the cap switching.

There are other combo's possible, it just depends what you want.
    Scott.

TL;DR

I'd suggest a Tele 4-way lever switch with a Series/Single Coil/Parallel mini-toggle switch:

Scott.

Jeez Scott, How the heck do you come up with these. Thank you so much for the options dude
    Much appreciated
    Kimball

Time to resurrect a zombie thread, sorry.

I've been googling for the last couple of days as well as using the search function here and not finding what I am looking for ( maybe need new glasses )

I've just sorted the hum on my mates Tele with HB neck and SC bridge pups and now having told him that the selector is stuffed he wants a wiring change that I can't find a circuit for.

He's purchased a genuine Fender 3 way and push / pull volume pot and wants the HB changed from standard config to coil split via the PP.

The HB is supposed to be a Seymour Duncan but is unbranded, the wire colours are correct but the guy who wired it joined the black & white rather than the usual red & white ( standard of soldering was appalling with chicken sh1t and melted insulation everywhere)

The whole guitar is pretty weird, on Reverb.com the serial shows as a 93-94 MIJ Tele but the Fender serial search has it as a 2003-04 Jazzmaster Special Edition. The neck also has an allen key adjustment at the heel which I've not seen before.

Regardless of what it really is he loves it and it's really nice to play so any assistance here will be greatly appreciated. ( weirdy )

This site is always a good place to start...
    https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar...ring-diagrams/
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Thanks Fretty, close but no cigar but having said that it really isn't all that hard to work out with a multimeter so guess I should stop being so lazy

So, the hummy is definitely a 4-wire SD but currently has the black and white wires linked thus shorting out one coil? Permanently in split mode?

All you really need to do is get some clip leads and a set of headphones and see which coil from the humbucker makes a hum-cancelling pair with the bridge pup, the green/red+ or white/black+ coil. Then you just connect the 3-way as normal and run a wire from the hummy's red-white series link to the push/pull with a switched connection to ground if the green/red coil is unwanted in the split, or to the pup's hot to cancel the white/black coil.
    Scott.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast