Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Tele - single coil bridge - humbucker neck wiring

Sorry Stefano, I didn't realise you were asking a question.

Your compass indicates that the humbucker's screw coil is magnetic south, and the TDPRI link appears to show that the green/red wire pair are connected to that coil. That means the north slug coil is the black/white pair. If your bridge single coil is south polarity as you've stated then you'll need to split to the neck's black/white slug coil to get a hum-cancelling coil pair with the bridge. That means rearranging the mini-switch connections to split to the slug coil. Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tidus55_Tele_hum_neck_4way_north_split_v1.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	38853

It's possible you may still have phase issues, particularly if the two pickups are different brands/manufacturers. It this is the case it will sound thin and nasally in positions 2 and 3, regardless of the mini-switch setting. In that situation swapping the black and green connections on the 4-way switch should solve it. That is, black would go from the mini-switch to the top two connections on the 4-way and the green would go to the lower left connection instead.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Sorry Stefano, I didn't realise you were asking a question.

Your compass indicates that the humbucker's screw coil is magnetic south, and the TDPRI link appears to show that the green/red wire pair are connected to that coil. That means the north slug coil is the black/white pair. If your bridge single coil is south polarity as you've stated then you'll need to split to the neck's black/white slug coil to get a hum-cancelling coil pair with the bridge. That means rearranging the mini-switch connections to split to the slug coil.

It's possible you may still have phase issues, particularly if the two pickups are different brands/manufacturers. It this is the case it will sound thin and nasally in positions 2 and 3, regardless of the mini-switch setting. In that situation swapping the black and green connections on the 4-way switch should solve it. That is, black would go from the mini-switch to the top two connections on the 4-way and the green would go to the lower left connection instead.
    Hi Scott,

I had the impression that this was the case, but one thing at a time:

1- the manufacturer of the pickups is the same (Donlis), what I have read and heard have a truly excellent yield, I hope there are no out of phase problems
    2- does the fact that I split the slug coil compromise the sound in single (position 4) at the neck ?
    3- and if yes, I could put the pickup like in Keith Richards' Micawber, would it be better ?

After these last explanations I will finally go on to finish all the connections, and then put the strings, do the intonation, the action and so on, finish my first guitar
    Thanks a lot, Stefano

There is no compromise/problem splitting to the slug coil, in fact it is quite normal (particularly on a bridge pickup).

There will be very little sound difference splitting to the slug or screw coil (mainly from the slight positional difference along the string length). The most important thing is that the split coil is reverse wound reverse polarity to the bridge single coil so you get a hum-cancelling pair when combined.

Good luck.
    Scott.

Just posting an image related to this thread for a member.

Quick sketch of a 4-way twin hum layout with two volumes. Not ideal, but designed to minimise the compromises of having the individual volumes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele_hums_4way_2vol_v2small.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	40483

Neck volume is always in the circuit, so 1M volume pots would help to reduce the impact.

For those interested, a 3-way with a separate multi-pole series/parallel switch would be a better option for this type of configuration.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 08-05-2021 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Corrected Neck coil split connection on diagram
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    There is no compromise/problem splitting to the slug coil, in fact it is quite normal (particularly on a bridge pickup).

There will be very little sound difference splitting to the slug or screw coil (mainly from the slight positional difference along the string length). The most important thing is that the split coil is reverse wound reverse polarity to the bridge single coil so you get a hum-cancelling pair when combined.

Good luck.
    Hi Guys

I want to confirm that everything is fantastic and working ...... Now I am learning to play ...... My blondie yellow mesh.

Thanks for all ..... Cheers.

6. Liked by: OliSam

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5