Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Making the MMB-4 active???

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I was browsing through some bases and saw the stingray 5, and decided that the MMB-4 would be the kit I would build.
    I had been trying to decide for a while which one to build. Woka set me on the Arzi path and so what I am trying to do is.

The Plan,
    2 Seymour Duncan Pickups 4 string 1 Alnico Bridge and one ceramic Neck,
    MOP Nut supplied by DB,
    Artec SE3 preamp
    5 way CRL switch from PBG (I just didn't like the balance concept.)

I found this since the last post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5WaySwitch-2.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	9468

it appears to show what I was looking for the coil configurations for each switch position.
    I am hoping this shouldn't be hard to wire up, I am just not sure about the replacing the Balance pot.

Cheers,
    Neil
    Regards,
    Neil

You won't be able to do the above with a standard CRL 5-way, it'll need to be a 4-pole 5-way like the super switch.

As an alternative you could use two mini-toggle switches to control the coil selection on each pickup (both coils, coil 1, coil 2) and then use a standard 3 or 4-way lever switch for the combinations, more options but more switches and messing around.
    Scott.

Hi WeirdBits, thanks for the advice, I'll have a think about it for a while...
    Regards,
    Neil

Hi Neil

If I'd do my build again, I'd probably go with a 4-way switch like I did my last build the "Hemi" or "Ol dirty basstard". I did it with a 4-way Grigsby and one humbucker + single coil. Neck, series, parallel and bridge. This is an easy way to do it.

With a preamp you can't use the blend seamlessly with it. What I can tell now the series option boosts the pickups tremendously with the passive option so you get way louder pups if you skip the parallel option. Then again with the preamp you get same kind of effect although the basic sound of the pickups are different in parallel.

For what it's worth I like the sound of chinese pups on mine very much. Paid about 13 AUD each so for the price they rock. And Weirdbits is the voice you should listen on these things. I'll keep an eye on this build. Have fun. The Artec is well worth the money.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7