Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Zandit, I'd be there in a heartbeat.....but it would be for the fly fishing
    I'll introduce you to my old man then, He'd love a fishing partner!
    Acoustics:
    1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
    2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup

Electrics:
    Pitbull LP-1S - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5745
    Carsen Superstrat Rebuild - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6284

Builds in Progress:
    Silent Guitar Semi-Scratch Build - http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6809

Let's see:
    loose ligaments in both shoulders, knees, and wrists. (had shoulder surgery my junior year)
    nerve damage in left (fretting) hand due to above genetic condition + H.S sport injury (caused aforementioned surgery)
    deteriorating cartilage in both knees
    permanently messed up neck (hairline fracture of some sort I believe; also from H.S sport)

Unfortunately the messed up shoulders leads to less stamina in my arms, and the wrist makes playing difficult/painful after longer extended periods of time.
    To put the shoulders in perspective: Kids in H.S always compare how much they can bench press. I could not, nor probably can to this day, bench press much over the bar the weights go on. Shoulders will literally slide/pop out of the sockets.

that's all I can think of at the moment.

not good Raz, what is H.S sport please ? must be an American term ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    not good Raz, what is H.S sport please ? must be an American term ?
    High School sport. I did collegiate wrestling (varsity) in High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    High School sport. I did collegiate wrestling (varsity) in High School.
    Was T.S. Garp your coach

Edited to add, if you haven't read the book or seen the movie you won't see the connection
    Last edited by dave.king1; 01-12-2016 at 06:54 AM.

A great burden, Raz, and I feel for you. Our bass player's youngest son suffers from a lesser extreme version of your condition, but was sports mad at school. He was always playing soccer and rugby union, and was also on a UK youth Aussie rules football team that did a small tour in Australia and actually managed to win a match! He's about 6" 5', and was forever dislocating joints, putting them back in himself and carrying on with the game. All very brave, but he'll regret it when he gets older. He's finally calmed down and is taking things a lot easier now.

This one time, I had to go down to South Hedland to do my Tech units as part of my Apprenticeship with my dad, it was at Pundlmurra College, to get down to South Hedland from Kununurra, where I lived, I had to do some traveling on a plane for part of the way, and the rest of the way by Bus, one thing they don't tell you about traveling by Bus is that it is very hard to settle into a comfortable position, just to get comfortable, I had to scrunch myself up in a foetal-position and lie on my side, every few minutes I had to change position due to pins-and-needles in my legs, anyway, I get to the Student Residences at Pundlmurra College and eventually decided to get to bed, the following day I tried to get up but I felt the worst pain imaginable in the lower part of my back, and I had to put up with it because I was due to attend my first Tech unit that day, so there I was, in class, having to literally sit bolt-upright just so I could write in my exercise book without having to experience stabbing pain shooting up my spine whenever I lifted up my right hand (which happened to be my writing hand, and it is my dominant one), those of you who have experienced what a bad back is like will know only too well, not a fun experience at all I can tell you.

Bad-back days are the pits, I've had some bad-back days where it was an excruciating experience just to get up out of bed, just to even move from one part of my flat to another involved me sitting on the floor while slowly sliding myself forward, I still get sore backs, but strangely, it only happens when lying on my bed, soon as I get up and sit on my computer-desk chair, the pain seems to go away, I found that some ice in a freezer bag that's wrapped in a tea-towel seems to help a lot, I guess it serves me right for trying to lift heavy things, such as a 6-cylinder engine-block, too many times, even though I did use correct lifting techniques.

When you do your back in, it's not a nice thing to experience, and it can happen without warning, one time when it happened, I was just reaching over to pick something up, when I felt something hit me like an electric shock in my lower back, and then came the pain and muscle weakness, and I knew instantly what I had done, moving ever so slightly in any direction caused a shooting pain to go up my back.

Moral of the story, always keep your back straight, and bend your knees when lifting things, cause bad backs are no fun at all.

I've even had to do a recording session while putting up with a bad back too, funnily enough, it didn't impact on my ability to record my parts though, I was sitting on a stool with my guitar plugged into the recording console, it was painful, but I did it, how Rock 'n Roll is that?
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-12-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Kids sport can be quite dangerous as I had quite a few injuries before giving the game away after we won our U15's Rugby League Grand Final.

Some of the injuries on the footy field included broken nose in U8's (not looking where I was going and also got knocked out), Spear Tackled in U14's Grand Final and 30 years later the connection was made after Chiropractor did x-rays to figure out what was causing me so much grief in L3 & L4. Broken ribs in U15's and also broke another players collarbone that same year. Countless sprained ankles both left and right and thankfully no knee injuries. Not bad for a skinny winger who only held his spot on the team because he could
    run fast.

Outside of footy also broke ribs whilst sailing when the boat capsized into me as we were launching it. Gotta say broken ribs is one of the worst injuries and I was unlucky enough to break the same pair twice, just 6 years apart.

Only injury that restricts my playing is a badly smashed left pinky finger from a high speed push bike crash when I was 14 and as that finger didn't close into my fist quick enough ended up using it as brakes as I hit the deck. Dislocated and broke it in about 3 places and unbelievable how much you actually do with your non-natural/dominant hand. Many years later it is OK but not as strong as it could be.
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Having done both ribs in front and back and also rib cartlege I think ribs are less painful, also broken left arm twice, bones in the instep of the left foot a couple of times and broken fingers.

I broke the first knuckle on the index finger of my left hand mis timing a catch which is really not a good thing for a right handed bass player that has a 4 hour gig six nights a week

All of the above playing cricket at various levels over the years.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast