Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: More holes than I can handle

More holes than I can handle

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of planning my circuit for my SC1. It's using two, four-wire humbuckers.

Option 1;
    4 Push pulls to turn each coil on/off
    1 vol and 1 tone per humbucker
    Kill switch
    Empty hole for I don't know what (phase/series/parallel?, master tone, built in overdirve/distoriton)

Option 2;
    4 push pulls for vol/tone on each coil
    Kill switch
    Phase/series/parallel

Option 3;
    ???

Any inspiration?

Hey Chris, how many holes you got for electrics again on the cap ? 4 pot holes and a switch ?
    Forgotten if there is an output jack hole on the cap and you have side mounted that.
    You only need 2 push pull pots, one each to split the coils of the humbuckers.
    Really only need one master tone so the other pot hole could be a kill switch.
    Don't think you need to use that monster rotary switch if you have the push pull pots to split the buckers.
    I'm always a fan of keeping the electrics simple as possible in a semi hollow body !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

If you're game option 2 sounds the best to me. I absolutely LOVE having a series/parallel switch on my tele's pups. Acts like a mini boost for solos.

Maybe even invest in a concentric pot and have a single pot for master volume AND tone!

You've edge mounted the output jack, right? So, you have the large pickup selector hole and now 4 + 1 pot holes?

You could use push/pull volume and tone pairs for each pickup which would allow you to have series/parallel/outer coil/inner coil switching. That would give you a lot of variation. Or, if you wanted to keep it a little more simple, you should be able to switch both pickups with just one of the volume/tone pairs as push/pulls (standard pots for the other pair). That is, it would switch both pickups from series to parallel to outer coils to inner coils at the same time. For the remaining hole, if you can get a 3-pos switch with enough poles (have to work out how many), you could have parallel (standard)/series switching between the pickups for when they are both on and the 3rd position could be the kill (all off). Or, alternately, the switch could be in/out phase and kill or something like that.

Or, volume pot and series/single coil/parallel mini-switch for each pickup and then a master tone. Simple, but still a lot of options.

You could even maybe do a varitone type setup or something similar, but rotary switches won't always fit through an f-hole so that may not be possible.

What do your pickups sound like when coil split or in parallel? It may pay to research and see if you can get some sound samples, as it may not be worth having all the switching options if they are not going to provide the type of sound you're looking for.
    Scott.

And as always, Weirdy comes to the rescue

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    You've edge mounted the output jack, right? So, you have the large pickup selector hole and now 4 + 1 pot holes?
    Correct.

You could use push/pull volume and tone pairs for each pickup which would allow you to have series/parallel/outer coil/inner coil switching. That would give you a lot of variation.
    How do I get series/parallel/outer/inner onto the four push pulls? I can only think of how to do outer/inner with four push pulls if I'm doing it on both pups. Or are you saying do outer/inner on the push pulls and series/parallel on a rotary? The latter I can definitely draw up myself, but I don't know how to do the first one.

What do your pickups sound like when coil split or in parallel? It may pay to research and see if you can get some sound samples, as it may not be worth having all the switching options if they are not going to provide the type of sound you're looking for.
    When my tuners get here, the first thing I'm doing is running them straight to out so I can have a little noodle on the guitar and check it out (never had a good play on a hollow body except a brief noodle at wok's house). I can work that out from there - not too many clean tone demos of these out there, but the ones that are out there are sweet as.

That said, using pups from the same company on my last build - I found that series, parallel and front/back in the bridge didn't have much difference into most setups (maybe because of loading/not having a buffer).

Install a flux capacitor control

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Install a flux capacitor control
    haha well said DB, its the only way the Delorian will time travel !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by ihasmario View Post
    ...How do I get series/parallel/outer/inner onto the four push pulls? ...
    I'll draw something up later tonight if I get time.
    Scott.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast