Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: More holes than I can handle

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    you post at some weird times !
    Mate, you're in Perth, you're the one with the weird times. Made the diagrams last night, fell asleep, posted this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by keloooe View Post
    Also how have you done these awesome diagrams...
    Pest, there are much better ways to do them, but I've just been using GIMP (cross platform, free, and I'm used to it). I use separate layers for each component type (pups, caps, pots etc), and separate layers for each wire colour. I take photos of my components as I use them to build up a library and then just paste them in as needed. For example, in the above diagrams I made the first one then just changed the pot layer and some of the wire layers to make the second diagram. The hard part is figuring out the design in the first place... option 1 of the Frakenpester took some head-scratching. Paper, pencil and eraser are still your friends when working up designs.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Mate, you're in Perth, you're the one with the weird times. Made the diagrams last night, fell asleep, posted this morning.
    haha its all relative Weirdy, assume you are 2 hours ahead but there was posts 2 something and 3 something our time so your up before 5am is keen.
    Keep up the good work bro Pitbulls resident wiring guru. I'm sure all of the forum appreciate all these custom wiring diagrams you knock out
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hey Weirdbits,

I'll get rid of the kill/mute then and put it on something I can tap on or use in-line with my other guitars.

If I get rid of the kill/mute, I just have to remove the link between the switch and the hot, the two grounds from the pot and that's it?

Any changes I missed?

To remove the kill setting only, you just have to retain the cross-over phase switching on the inner two poles, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Humbucker_series_para_single_opt_3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	3555
    Scott.

That diagram gives quite a lot of tonal possibilities...... The demo video for this guitar will be quite long

I'm using LACE Alumitone HBs.

From what I can see, it looks like the wires aren't what I expected. The wires have conductivity (one with half the resistance), and one of them, which I know is the ground has no conductivity.

So it looks to me like the four wires I have are actually just a two conductor pickup with a coil tap in the middle (but they oddly call it split wiring). I've emailed them for clarity.

The powers that be aren't allowing me the time to get around to wiring/getting the last switches/wires I need etc, so I haven't quite worked out how this will affect the wiring scheme, but I've emailed lace for some clarity on the issue....

Splitable Alumitone wiring

Looks like you may have to limit yourself to just humbucker/split options for each pickup (one push/pull for each pup), but we should still be able to include the phase switch... though it could require some experimenting/testing when you start to wire it up.
    Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdBits View Post
    Splitable Alumitone wiring

Looks like you may have to limit yourself to just humbucker/split options for each pickup (one push/pull for each pup), but we should still be able to include the phase switch... though it could require some experimenting/testing when you start to wire it up.
    Yeah, I think this leaves me with the option to use the two spare push pulls for phase switching per pickup, right? Then I have a spare hole I can just put a kill in. Or I can use the two push pulls for a kill for each pup.

If I don't like it I'll go ahead and get a different set of pickups, I guess.
    Last edited by ihasmario; 07-07-2015 at 11:38 AM.

You only need to reverse the phase on one of the pickups, not the other, so that they're out of phase with each other when combined. So, you will only need one push/pull for the phase switching, and one push/pull each to split the pickups (which leaves you with potentially one spare push/pull).

You could use the extra push/pull to allow you to link the two pickups together in series when combined (rather than the standard parallel) or use it for tone capacitor switching etc. And yes, you still have the extra hole to use for a kill switch, either a small toggle (On/Off or On/Off/Momentary) or a momentary push button.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 07-07-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    Scott.

Sounds good.

Do I get parallel by swapping the hot on one of the pickups for either the ground/split?

Can you give me a hand with the wiring scheme for this one because I've never dealt with a pickup wired like this (which I think is automatically series?). If you flick me a paypal address or some banking details I'll reimburse you for your time. It doesn't seem worth it for me to spend hours working out how it works if this is basically the last guitar I plan to build, and I know the order is going to be a pain for this one (I think I need the split wiring before the series/parallel).

Thanks Scott

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast