Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Homemade luthiery tools

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Guess these fit, even tho they are yet to be tested in the field.

Fret press

Mitre box for fretting

Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Nice one Phil, that 3d printer is earning it's keep. I need those two in my kit for next build.

You could sell those Sonic. I'm sure there's plenty of us that could use tools like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had to cut a nut from scratch and, for once, could not just copy the old string spacing. But then I found this little gem:

Compensated String Spacing Layout Tool

You can also get it here:

CSSLT

Not sure of the name of the author of this. I *think* it's someone with the handle "Jaydawg" on TDPRI. It's a shame not to be able to credit the author for his useful PDF.
    Last edited by fender3x; 10-02-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    Had to cut a nut from scratch and, for once, could not just copy the old string spacing. But then I found this little gem:

Compensated String Spacing Layout Tool

You can also get it here:

CSSLT

Not sure of the name of the author of this. I *think* it's someone with the handle "Jaydawg" on TDPRI. It's a shame not to be able to credit the author for his useful PDF.
    Note that it's probably not ideal for a nylon strung guitar, where the string diameters are all pretty similar. On a steel-strung guitar, you want the string spacing between the edges of the strings to be constant, so the spacings increase as the string diameter increases. With nylon strings, there is much less of a difference between the string diameters e.g. 0.028" to 0.045", as opposed to say .012" to 0.052".

The nylon strings also get bigger then decrease again, whilst steel string sets always increase.

0.028, 0.032, 0.040, 0.031, 0.037 and 0.045
    0.012, 0.016, 0.024, 0.032, 0.042 and 0.053

With a classical/nylon strung guitar, you may be better off using a calculator like on this page, where you can type in your string diameters and get it just right. https://www.guitarrasjaen.com/Equisp...alculator.html

For a common 1st to 6th string spacing of 1.457"/37mm (classical nuts have a wider spacing but I used the same spacing for a direct comparison), the difference in spacing between nylon and steel string varies by around 0.25mm; sometimes plus, sometimes minus. It's not a huge difference, and there is always the question of human accuracy when marking and cutting the slots.

But if you look at the actual between string slot centre distances, for the nylon string, they vary by less than 0.28mm, whereas for the steel strings, the distances vary by up to 0.85mm, so given measuring and cutting accuracies, you may well feel that for nylon, equal spacing will suffice.

Note that this string to string distance variance remains constant whatever the nut width is, so the nylon string to string distance variance will be just the same on a 46mm spaced nut as on a 37mm spaced one (as will the steel string variance), although the actual string to string spacing distances will differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Note that it's probably not ideal for a nylon strung guitar, where the string diameters are all pretty similar.
    That's true! In addition to the guide you found I also saw this one that calculates from the sides of the nut rather than from E string centers:

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/f...ut-calculator/

But you are probably also right that compensating is overkill for a classical.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4