Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats your go to brand for waterbased powdered dye?

The best dyes I have found are pigment powder types.
    These are used in all kinds of applications from soap making to wood work.

You can get them as water soluable or oil dispersable and unlike aniline dyes, they are more light fast.

You can excpect to pay no more than $10 for enough to last a lifetime of casual builds..

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Art inks work well, see my LP for my sister build

Awesome, thanks stan and dingobass. I'll be going for the pigment powder.

Hi Clebby

I just ordered water based powdered stains from Keda Dye (US). These can also be used with denatured alcohol. Wanted to try these out because if the price; five colours: red, yellow, blue, brown and black - 20 U.S dollars shipped. Came within a week to Finland.

These should make 1 litre of stain per color and all are mixable. Ordered from ebay UK.

Watched some youtube clips about them and I'm gonna use these on my RC-4 build this summer. We'll see what happens.

Arzi

I'll check them out, but US shipping to Australia could cost an arm or a leg, as it usually does for things. Would be good for that price though!

Hi Clebby

The shipping here was about 5 dollars and the product 15 dollars. Same here - the shipping does usually cost almost as much as the product if it doesn't fit in an envelope, but this did fit so...

As I said - th price was the factor for me because here the powders for 8oz of stain cost abot 8-10 dollars each. No wonder online shopping from other countries has exploded in the past five years...

Arzi

I've ordered some Keda Dyes from Ebay Australia, came from the USA. The overall cost was reasonable at AU$19.00 + $6.50 postage for the 5 aniline dyes. Planning to try them out on my next build, a TL-1TB with a flame maple veneer.

With Aniline dyes you have to be aware that they will permanantly stain white bindings...

You can mask with tape, if you have the patience.....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hi guys, when using waterbased dyes. Is wood swelling something you need to take into consideration?
    Do I need to pre treat the wood with something before applying the dye?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2