Thread: Neck finishes- maple necks and fingerboards

Mentor

Neck finishes- maple necks and fingerboards

Hi folks,

I'm prepping a maple fingerboard and neck on the Gloria kit, and was wondering what the best approach to finishing a neck and fingerboard is with Dingotone. Again, any pitflls or traps for rookie players I should be aware of?

Also can we keep this thread on topic? The last one I put up had me wading through six pages of irrelevant blather to get pertinent information. Cheers.

Hey BG, I think it is similar to Wudtone application. Sorry about the hijack!

I can mix the colours you want, and the application is similar to the afore mentioned product.
    It will need more cure time between coats as there are no dryers in Dingotone.

For the fingerboard the Dingotone wax does the job
    Last edited by dingobass; 10-05-2015 at 09:43 AM.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Mentor
    Splendid, DB! Still yet to place then official order for the body stains (which I will do once I know the housebills have cleared), but will add a colourless neck finish and some Dingowax too.

Hey BG, yeah for a maple fingerboard the Dingowax works a treat and doesn't darken it,
    that was a ripper thread hijack, you were the unlucky culprit who copped it hahah
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Just 2 quick questions: 1- Can I just use the Dingotone neck finish colourless on a maple fretboard (I will cover up the frets)? 2- If not, what's the wax like on a maple fretboard?
    =======
    I think I have about 14 guitars on my to-do list...
    nDR01d

Go for the wax on fingerboards...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I'm gathering from this thread that recommended practice is to put wax rather than neck finish on fretboards. Can someone please confirm this.
    I have a maple neck with rosewood fretboard and have opted for the clear neck stain. I accidentally got a bit of the base coat on the fretboard in a couple of places and those places are consequently darker than the rest. Not sure what to do next...
    Is there a way to get this off ? Alternatively, should I apply the base coat to the rest of the fretboard to get a consistent appearance.

Side comment - fretboard finishing wasn't covered by either the video or the printed instructions. It would be good to see something explicit on this.