Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Gr-1sf

HI Chazking,

you could start here:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=2547

or on youtube.

I can't remember where but there was a tutorial involving platic tubing. I will have to dig it out.
    Bass Player from London, England:

Current Build ESB-4SC

wow Jeff, that turned out amazingly well, get it into the next GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by Chazking View Post
    Hey great job. just had mine delivered. But my issue is how the hell do you get the wiring into the body?
    Hey Chazking sorry in the delayed response, you probably have it all built already! Anyway if not you run wires from all penetrations in the body and pull them out the bridge pup hole. Then attach the wires to the tone/volume pots switches and jacks. Slowly pull them back thru till they are all out their correct hole and run the locking nuts down the wires and screw them on securing all hardware. try the jack first maybe even twist it a bout half a turn counter clockwise before you tighten it down with the lock nut, its nearly impossible to get that bad boy really tight without twisting it about that much in the clockwise direction. feed all wires and pickups in thru the bridge cavity and then feed the neck pickup thru the neck cavity and finally the bridge pickup comes back out. its not too difficult with the right technique. I used braided 12 gauge electrical wire for all the guide wires and I took some of the braided copper and wrapped it around the pots stem to get them to their locations without falling off in the body. also I took a outline of the guitar body and made all wires the proper lengths so that they would run in a way that they wouldn't be running thru the f-hole where you could see them.
    hope that helps!
    Aloha, Jeff

Hello Jeff,

I'm reading your build diary pretty intently as I'm building the same. As an ex carpenter joiner I appreciate your angle on most things. I want to get straight in and glue the neck also. Did you feel it was a good move or bad move with the benefit of hindsight?

Rodger

Question GR-SF1 Kit Tremolo query

Hi all. I'm new here but not a beginner. I've been making solid bodies for a few years and decided it was time to try my hand at an arch top after stumbling across a battered old 1959 Maton Premier E.G. 45A in an op shop for 5 bucks. Its electrics (original) still worked so I figured it was worth having a go at bringing it back to life. It plays ok but is a real finger killer with an action you could ride a skateboard under at f12. Anyway the Old Girl is hanging on the wall until i can get my head around the archtop.
    I went for the GR-1SF kit - for better or worse.
    I did a dry fit to make sure it was all there and fit properly. It did and it did!
    One thing that has me baffled is the Bigsby Style Tremolo. The spring seems to be twice the length required at 30mm long and the trem arm sits about 120mm above the body top with both E strings tuned to concert. The spring doesn't seat squarely until I force the arm down much closer to the top. Will it end up lower when all strings are attached and tuned to concert less a semi-tone?
    Is this how its supposed to be or have I been sent a light truck suspension spring???
    Should I get the spring cut?
    photo uploads fail??

Anyone with some ideas would be great.
    Cheers
    Mike
    PS. I looked up the parts list for the Bigsby B7 which the supplied Bigsby type is supposed to be modelled on and the there are two spring sizes shown.
    1. 7/8th" (22mm)
    2. 1" (25.4mm)
    The spring supplied in the kit is 30mm
    Last edited by michaelgard; 30-01-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Bigsby spring dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sheridan View Post
    Now if I could manage to figure out how to resize pictures I will post soon!
    Here's the simple way to resize images if using Windows Paint:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to resize images in Windows Paint.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	34188
    Best regards
    Grant

Hey , Im doing this guitar as my first build and followed the PBG diagram and I get a weird buzzing noise when I plug in the circuit into an amp to test. any ideas?

Hi and welcome.

A fairly constant buzzing but with sound normally indicates that the wires are swapped over on the output jack. It may be something else, but I'd double check that you've got them the right way round. It's easy to pick the wrong tabs on the jack. I've done it a couple of times myself and I've wired up at least a hundred guitars to date.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8