Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Starcaster" Build

"Starcaster" Build

Hi gang,

A new build. Freshly arrived today - super fast shipping.

It looks great.

I've never done a hollow body and it looks like there might be a cap of some sort on it. There are a few machine marks I will need to sand out.

I've attached pictures. Should I sand them, try hide them, or should I fill them? The more obvious flaw in the photos is above the surface of the guitar (maybe glue residue or another machine mark). The other is a scratch that is maybe half a millimetre down and goes for about 8 cm.

Whats the best way to get rid of the scratch? And whats the risk of going through the cap getting rid of the other marks? There's also some separation around the neck pocket: is this a problem? The body feels solid around there...

PS, is this a set neck or a bolt on neck? It seems like a set neck but I figured I'd ask first.

I asked PBG a few times to see if they could get me a starcaster body in. They did it. And it's great. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1426584783387.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	2292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150317_174259.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150317_173057.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	2293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150317_173115.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	2294   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150317_175615.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	2296  

Last edited by ihasmario; 17-03-2015 at 05:59 PM.

You could try a damp rag and a warm iron to raise the scratch.
    Just be careful not to over heat as the glue holding the cap might let go....

On another note, I have sourced some very tasty timbers for your other project..
    Just waiting for it to come out of the drying kiln and pricing...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    On another note, I have sourced some very tasty timbers for your other project..
    Just waiting for it to come out of the drying kiln and pricing...
    Awesome can't wait. Hopefully it doesn't break the "build guitars" fund in the process!

Whats a good grit to start on on the top of this? Straight to 400? Or is this a "don't sand you're you'll go through the cap/binding" kind of thing?

Yep, I would go to 320 or 400.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I went to 400 on my LP build a couple of years back, never went through the cap! This is going t obe a cool build methinks, any colours planned yet or any upgrades?

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    First cab off the ranks with the Starcaster! Looking forward to seeing this progress. Looks like the cap is symmetrical? Should come up a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by keloooe View Post
    I went to 400 on my LP build a couple of years back, never went through the cap! This is going t obe a cool build methinks, any colours planned yet or any upgrades?
    I didn't get any hardware with it. I'm trying to see if Fender WRHBs fit, otherwise I might have to shop around for some PUPs.

Otherwise nothing planned.

Planning for a blue guitar. The last one was supposed to be blue but came out green.

Fender WRHB's are larger than a standard humbucker, so unless the body is routed for the specific size or you can find a way to enlarge the rout, it unfortunately won't fit. Blue should look sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    First cab off the ranks with the Starcaster! Looking forward to seeing this progress. Looks like the cap is symmetrical? Should come up a treat.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I am pretty sure the way they did it was they sliced the veneer off the same block back to back and then flipped one of them upside down. Bookmatching or whatever its called, they're pretty damn close.

Others will likely finish before me - I'll be building it with my girlfriend and I have a bit of research to do regarding parts.

Quote Originally Posted by keloooe View Post
    Fender WRHB's are larger than a standard humbucker, so unless the body is routed for the specific size or you can find a way to enlarge the rout, it unfortunately won't fit. Blue should look sweet!

Yah, I'm giving it a test tomorrow with a local guy who has some. Otherwise it's something a bit different. Haven't quite decided if it'll be a WRHB clone that is standard humbucker size or if I'll do something different/more modern. I am pretty sure there is a solid centre block in this kit of some variety - so I may even end up opening the route a bit (translation: getting someone to do it for me)
    Last edited by ihasmario; 17-03-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Overlord of Music
    Yeah, wide ranges are about 25% bigger than standard size. Check these though http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-...yle_c_175.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_1426585869687.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	2302  
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast