Thread: Applicator for wipe on/rub in finishes

Applicator for wipe on/rub in finishes

If you use wipe on or rub in finishes like Dingo tone, Minwax, shellac, ink , stains etc, this might help you with making an applicator.

I was taught this by a guy who taught me French polishing.

Take a piece of lint free cloth, old T shirt works well, make a square about the size of a small handkerchief, this will be the outside layer of the applicator - the bit in contact with the finished surface.

Scrunch up some more and put it in the middle.

Tie it up and make like a Christmas pudding. Make sure that whatever you use for a tie doesn't dissolve or react with the finish you are using.

The ball has to be tight enough to hold shape, but too tight will make the finish streaky and is a bit like spreading butter with a golf ball...

Put some of your finish in a jar that has an air tight lid. This stops the whole lot from drying out and going hard between applications.

Put in your applicator, most of this will soak up initially.

Keep it with some finish in the bottom, helps with the drying out thing....

If the applicator applies too much, wipe off again with a clean piece of cloth.

I have found that with things like ink, a bunched up cloth worked better for application, and the applicator spreads it around better.

Take from it what you will, hope it helps