Hey guys, I've been slowly working on a TL-1 in my spare time, and got the Dingotone Karajini Red kit for it. Sanded the body well down to 400 grit, made sure it was nice and smooth. Stain and intensifying coats went on mostly without drama, with the exception of an intensifying coat that I got grit on due to a dust storm (I live in western NSW). With the clear coat, I got two on without drama. At this point, I should mention I've been leaving it a week between coats right the way through, because i really only have time to look in on it on a Sunday arvo. The clear was starting to build, and then the last coat went all splotchy; heavy and thick in some parts, non existent in others. And here's the thing, I make sure I use thin coats, applied according to the video with a small cloth, and I make sure I use light to ensure a complete coat (i.e. it's all wet and glossy looking). So today I hit the shed, 0000 steel wooled the blotches, and the whole thing went hazy, and then reapplied a thin coat just to the front of the body to see what happens.

A couple questions: is this the right way of going about this repair, and if I've completely messed it up where should I go from here? I've got a sander, so could take the whole finish off pretty easily and resand ready to go again, but maybe I would just solid coat it this time. Help me, oh havers of wisdom!

PS: my only previous wood finishing experience is the off-brand ES335 I built last year, and I finished that in Tru-Oil.