Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cryogenic treatment of metal guitar parts

Cryogenic treatment of metal guitar parts

Has anybody heard of cryogenic treatment of guitar parts for tone and toughness?
    I have a relative who can get this done for me.
    Like all the other discussions on what enhances tone, I'm sure there is a degree of myth and reality to it all.
    Tuners, Bridges, Strings, you name it, they can all get the treatment
    What are the opinions here?

Here is an excerpt from wiki for those unfamiliar:
    Cryogenic hardening is a cryogenic heat treating process where the material is cooled to approximately −185 °C (−301 °F), usually using liquid nitrogen. It can have a profound effect on the mechanical properties of certain steels, provided their composition and prior heat treatment are such that they retain some austenite at room temperature. It is designed to increase the amount of martensite in the steel's crystal structure, increasing its strength and hardness, sometimes at the cost of toughness. Presently this treatment is being practiced over tool steels, high-carbon, and high-chromium steels to obtain excellent wear resistance. Recent research shows that there is precipitation of fine carbides (eta carbides) in the matrix during this treatment which imparts very high wear resistance to the steels

Only one way to find out Stan

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hardening the components theoretically will increase highs and articulation. (I could explain why and have done it on many youtube comments with people explaining that body wood has zero affect on tone, etc.) Its basically constructive interference being induced along the string in the high frequencies and better transfer of percussive sounds. In short. However, how much this affects your tone in practice is unknown, it definitely does affect your tone that way, but if its microscopically different such that you need a stethoscope and a graphic sound representation to notice it or its audible is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Only one way to find out Stan
    True DB, but the only real way would be before and after tests, but I will be putting in stuff I havent used before, so no real comparison.

Even the NASCAR guys use it for engine parts and wiring.

Dont really know , as far as guitar is concerned, how much is snake oil and how much is fact

Personally, i seriously doubt it will do much at all...
    Very few Guitar hardware manufactures use high grade metals...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote Originally Posted by dingobass View Post
    Personally, i seriously doubt it will do much at all...
    Very few Guitar hardware manufactures use high grade metals...
    Which opens up the whole tone debate thing again: bone nuts vs steel vs brass vs unobtainium, yet bridges, stop tails and saddles are cheap metal...

Nah wouldn't work, the metals are not high in the grade to have a total effect. Though I will change my opinion if I hear sound clips of it!

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Which opens up the whole tone debate thing again: bone nuts vs steel vs brass vs unobtainium, yet bridges, stop tails and saddles are cheap metal...
    Bone nuts do give a much warmer tone than steel or brass, tried it out and can confirm it..
    Brass does give a rather nice bright tone, works really well for slide set ups.
    Steel works a treat on Dobro type Guitars, ads to that amazing jangly sound..

A floyd or any other locking trem uses a metal nut and they work great

You know. Fitted four different nuts to my Precision Bass not because I wanted to but looking for that sound you know the very elusive sound we all try and find . Brass , Bone , Graphite, and Tusq . The best one for my bass was the tusq . One of my other bases I started this time with tusq this time the bone sounded better . I personally believe it's down to the body and neck wood .just use the best nut material that suits the guitar your currently working on . And do try more than one i think you'll be surprised . Some of the best Antique Gibson Les Pauls revered because of there tone have Nylon nuts on so I guess as I say use what's best for your guitar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast