Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Testing Hardware Options

Bargeloobs, yes, the factory has been told about the poor headstock shaping and the mis-aligned holes. We'll see how this next lot turns out, hopefully we'll see an improvement.

If everyone wants non-drilled headstocks, then we can certainly request that, however, I would think that most first timers would want the holes drilled.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    B however, I would think that most first timers would want the holes drilled.
    Most definitely, it'd be unfair to expect someone totally new to the world of guitar building to have to do this themselves.
    Hey, at least it's been brought to their attention, that's all you can do.

That would be my preference too (actually regardless of whether it's right, particularly for tuners as it gives more flexibility), but I suspect there may be a concern that it might put off some less experienced or first time builders.

Haha, beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Agree with the comments above, but looks good. A little surprised at black hardware being $20 (making black hardware effectively $50 compared to $30 for chrome) more than chrome as it's normally roughly the same price to buy elsewhere, but I don't know the difference in cost to you, and it's still great to have the option. If you wanted my suggestion, I wouldn't have blinked at $10-15 difference. Price drop without the hardware is good I think, not extreme but a good saving for those who want to upgrade or use hardware they already own. Pickups don't drop much off the price, but I assume they don't cost you much, and I think most people will be happy just to get a small saving and not have the stock pups lying around if they plan to upgrade straight away. Can't comment on the gold hardware price as I've never been much interested in gold hardware and don't know what it would normally cost!

I definitely think having the options separated would be the ideal choice, but I think the single drop down would work. Would be good to have all the options (e.g. Black hardware, no pups, no scratchplate) available.

One thought I had - offering kits without hardware, do you want to provide undrilled kits or list the specs of the holes in the kits (post spacing, stud diameter etc)?
    The Gold and Black hardware packs are listed in Hardware Upgrades, so the prices are clearly stated ($79.95 and $49.95 respectively for the TL hardware). Chrome packs are nominally valued at $29.95, but really they are not worth anything outside of a kit. Hence the $20 difference. We effectively buy thousands of chrome packs (they come in the kits) but only a few dozen black kits. So, the black is going to be more expensive than chrome.
    Cheers,

Adam

No worries, makes sense. Wouldn't stop me from buying by any means, you asked for thoughts on prices, and that was my thought when looking at it. If the chrome will still be included in all kits that you get from your supplier, are you concerned about getting swamped in leftover chrome hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    No worries, makes sense. Wouldn't stop me from buying by any means, you asked for thoughts on prices, and that was my thought when looking at it. If the chrome will still be included in all kits that you get from your supplier, are you concerned about getting swamped in leftover chrome hardware?
    Yes, that will happen, but then we can just order some kits without hardware.
    Cheers,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    The Gold and Black hardware packs are listed in Hardware Upgrades, so the prices are clearly stated ($79.95 and $49.95 respectively for the TL hardware). Chrome packs are nominally valued at $29.95, but really they are not worth anything outside of a kit. Hence the $20 difference. We effectively buy thousands of chrome packs (they come in the kits) but only a few dozen black kits. So, the black is going to be more expensive than chrome.
    I'd have to agree with Metalhead on this. From a pure pricing sense I'd be increasing the price of the standard kit with standard hardware, and but keep the prices of the other options the same. It would be increasing the margin on the standard kit, but it would make the prices of the different options look more "right" to me. But I don't know how the software works, so that may not work without messing with the prices of the individual pickguards and hardware (which are look about right).
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Hey Fretworn, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. When you say you agree with Metalhead, what are you in agreement with?
    Cheers,

Adam

I think he's suggesting increasing the price of the kit with chrome hardware (say by $10) such that there isn't such a big gap between the cost of chrome hardware and black/gold. Win win as you increase the margin on your most common kit sales, and look like you're offering a better deal on the black, gold, and no hardware options. Makes a lot of sense to me actually!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast