Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: abutton

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Alan don't worry if you make a mistake, I'm sure it can be fixed or a work around. If I made a list of all the mistakes I've made it would be a very large document. Mistakes make you a better builder as you will try a different method next time !
    I'd just jump in and start sanding mate !
    O.K. Good advice wokkaboy

I think once I actually start something I will be O.K. - just getting anxious while I am preparing and testing

Cheers again,

Alan

Alan the most stressful part of the build is gluing the neck in place, but by then you will have much more confidence and the forum will guide you through the process.
    Lets see some photos of the body being sanded !
    Once you make a start the nerves will disappear !
    Actually have you started a build diary Alan ? this is still in the welcome section
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hey Alan,
    I think one of the darker red stains or the brown nullabor ochre would look good in a burst. At the time I did mine I used wudtone cherry flamenco (darker red) in the centre and Black magic woman on the back and sides and the outside burst, which wasn't really a dark black. With Dingotone you start with the stain coat so you will start the burst with these in both colours. Then you go over with the intensifying coat, then once happy with the depth and blend you put clear coats on.
    Not that important what wood to practice a burst on, even some pine would be ok to give you an idea how to blend the colours. That way you will see how the 2 colours you chose will look together.
    As the others have said have a practice solder, if you shield the control cavity that eliminates a few solder joins to each pot as they will all be earthed making contact with the copper shielding tape.
    Thanks wokkaboy,

Did you say that you put the dark stain on first, sand back and then put the lighter over the top?

I was thinking that this was to bring out the lines crossing the grain direction.

I think the burst is more the darker outside color blending into the lighter color into the middle of the face of the guitar.

I am getting there - and as you say I will practice on some pine first (which I have got)

Thanks again for your continued support and advice.

I know I am better prepared because of your comments and suggestions

Cheers,

Alan

Yeah Alan if you want to 'pop' or highlight the flames I'd put a black stain coat on the cap without any sanding, then sand it back till you have light areas of grain between the flames. I'd use 220 or 240 grit to do this. You want to minimise the sanding on the thin caps
    Then you can commence the burst.
    Have a practice at blending the 2 DT colours on the pine is a great idea, just use a little bit so you have enough of the dominate colour
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Alan the most stressful part of the build is gluing the neck in place, but by then you will have much more confidence and the forum will guide you through the process.
    Lets see some photos of the body being sanded !
    Once you make a start the nerves will disappear !
    Actually have you started a build diary Alan ? this is still in the welcome section
    Youre right - I think I just need to get stuck into it - hopefully I will cut the headstock on the weekend and then start sanding.

I think i have started a Build Diary and posted a picture but just of the base kit.

As soon as I do something to it I will post an update.

Time to stop talking and start doing ha!

Thanks also for the pop and burst suggestions - I have ordered the Nullabor Ochre - I think I will just stick to the burst for now

Cheers,

Alan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5