Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: abutton

Alan, here's an example of what the flame maple caps look like, this is one I built almost 2 years ago. You can 'pop' the flames by staining a darker stain on the cap first then sanding it back and then staining over a lighter colour
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wok SG 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	1211  
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey Alan, sorry some guitar builders use different words for different parts. The cap is the thin veneer glued to the top of the body. If you wipe a damp cloth over the top you should see flame like lines going across the veneer
    Cool, thanks heaps wokkaboy - I am slowly learning the names of the guitar parts - thanks for being so nice about describing this to me - I am even annoying myself at being so short of knowledge in this area. It is a bit frustrating because I am pretty good at OH&S stuff (which is my job) so it is like going back to kindergarten and starting again.
    Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Alan

This looks beautiful!! this is exactly what I want my guitar to look like (and then it will be handy to learn how to play it!)

I have already ordered a stain from Dingotone ('Sunset' something or other?) because I just wanted to get onto staining it but I hope it turns out like yours.

It said in the video that you can add more layers to darken it up (it looks a bit ligher than yours)

I might have to do some more research on this - I don't think Dingotone had any darker (rich) stains available - not sure if you can mix and match with other brands of stains??

Thanks again - I might have to ask for more advice - tell me if I am bothering you too much!

Cheers,
    Alan

Hey Alan, no problem, keep asking as many questions as you like. We all had to start as a newbie at some stage !
    Sounds like you ordered outback sunset, its a great deepish orange colour. Have a think if you want to attempt a burst, you could go for a darker outside colour.
    I've mixed Dingotone with other stains like Feast Watson prooftint stains and had no issues.
    This is what a flame maple LP looks like after I stained it with black FW black stain and rubbed it back. Then you apply the colour stain the flames will really pop like the finished product. This was done in DT coolangatta gold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-02 16.09.56.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front close.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1213  

Completed builds

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    Hey Alan, no problem, keep asking as many questions as you like. We all had to start as a newbie at some stage !
    Sounds like you ordered outback sunset, its a great deepish orange colour. Have a think if you want to attempt a burst, you could go for a darker outside colour.
    I've mixed Dingotone with other stains like Feast Watson prooftint stains and had no issues.
    This is what a flame maple LP looks like after I stained it with black FW black stain and rubbed it back. Then you apply the colour stain the flames will really pop like the finished product. This was done in DT coolangatta gold
    Thanks again wokkaboy - these look amazing too!! - I really like the soft rich tones that you got with the SG1F - I will have to work on this some more.

Thanks again, this is really helpful.

All the best,

Alan

no worries Alan thats what the forum is all about, we are trying to help everyone build a better guitar and guide you the right way.
    Start a build diary I'm keen to see the kit you scored and hopefully there's not much glue on the body. First thing to do is do a mock build and make sure all the parts are there and to check the scale length, which I will explain when you have the mock build together

Completed builds

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    G'day Alan! Welcome to the forums.

If my current SG1F kit is anything to go by you are going to have a ball. Just take your time, ask lots of questions no matter how trivial they may seem. You'll end up with a cracking guitar
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdosborne View Post
    G'day Alan! Welcome to the forums.

If my current SG1F kit is anything to go by you are going to have a ball. Just take your time, ask lots of questions no matter how trivial they may seem. You'll end up with a cracking guitar
    Thanks Andrew,

I am excited about building a guitar - especially this one - I picked it out and showed my wife - just as an aside and she bought it for me for Xmas.

I have ordered the stain and finishers and I am hoping to get a result like wokkaboys - I am not sure whether you can see his picture but it is exactly how I would like mine to look like.

Of course there is a lot more to it - especially as I am only just starting to learn playing the guitar but still I am keen to go as far as I can with all of the aspects of guitar playing.

I have really developed a passion for music as I have got older so I think this is a good way to get a feel for some of the fundamentals - at least with guitars.

Thanks heaps for replying to my post - as wanky as it sounds it is helping inspire me to push along.

Cheers,

Alan

good stuff Alan there's heaps of encouragement and inspiration in the forum.
    Have you ordered 2 stain colours and are going to attempt a burst ?
    this takes a bit of practice but sure with a practice on some scrap wood you can pull a nice burst off

Completed builds

Good luck and welcome along Alan, I promise you (however many reservations you have regarding building guitars) if you keep up a build diary and make good use of the people that inhabit this forum, you can't (and won't) go wrong.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress mate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast